PDA

View Full Version : Black Neck Stilt in Flight

Michael Stern
07-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Greetings,
It took a lot of photos to come up with this one and while I like the background and the bird I am still a little behind it and the whites on its back are just burned. It was difficult to get both the blacks and whites to "work" together! However still want to share it! Hope you like it...Michael

Camera Details
Shutter speed: 1/3200 sec
Aperture: 4
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: +1/3
Flash: External E-TTL High speed sync
Flash exposure compensation: +2/3
Metering mode: Evaluative
ISO: 400
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS USM
Focal length: 500mm

Robert Amoruso
07-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Michael,

Of all the BNS flight images I have made I have probably three that I like. You mentioned the problems, he has gotten past you and the whites are burned. All the more reason to get out and continue to work at it. For a black & white bird, you really need early morning or overcast sky to be able the handle the contrast or get them in perfect frontal lighting to open up the shadows.

Maxis Gamez
07-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi Michael,

I have to agree with Robert on this one. Keep trying!

Doug Brown
07-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Very honest self-assessment Michael. You can get good photos of them, and when you do, it's well worth the effort. Just keep trying.

Tim Rucci
07-17-2008, 02:41 AM
Other comments noted, but this is still a nice capture. Stilts move pretty quickly, so getting a sharp one, even in less than optimum conditions, is a decent catch in itself.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-17-2008, 05:46 AM
Good self-assessment, the pose is great though. In sunny conditions you have to dial in negative EC to keep the whites, -0.67 or so. Fill flash is a good idea to get more details in the blacks. Photographing early or late in the day helps, too.

Arthur Morris
07-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi Michael, I like the BKGR also but must agree with your self-critique.