PDA

View Full Version : Young Kingfisher

Pepe Reigada
07-16-2008, 02:34 PM
This morning, in the mountains near to my city, Códoba, Spain
D300 * 200-400f4 * tripod * blind * S:1/800 * A:7,1 * ISO:200 * EV:-1 * natural light * full frame*

Doug Brown
07-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Nice job with the composition in this full frame image. It's always best to compose in camera. The eye is sharp and I like the pose and BG. Would have liked a little more DOF, but that's about it. Thanks for posting!

carole wiley
07-16-2008, 03:00 PM
I like this alot. the little fellow looks pretty proud of himself! Beautiful light and bg to compliment the colors in the bird.

Maxis Gamez
07-16-2008, 04:06 PM
This is very nice and so is the pose. I think the colors are little off and I have to agree with Doug about the DOF but I actually like it!!

Arthur Morris
07-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Wow Pepe! This is pretty close to a perfect ten in my book. Sharp, lovely soft light, a killer BKGR, and an interesting pose. Do you know what he was looking at? A second glance suggests that it might benefit from a bit of CW rotation...

Maxis, how can you suggest that the colors are off if you have never seen this species? (Do correct me if I am wrong).

Maxis Gamez
07-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Wow Pepe! This is pretty close to a perfect ten in my book. Sharp, lovely soft light, a killer BKGR, and an interesting pose. Do you know what he was looking at? A second glance suggests that it might benefit from a bit of CW rotation...

Maxis, how can you suggest that the colors are off if you have never seen this species? (Do correct me if I am wrong).

I have a bird book.

Maxis Gamez
07-16-2008, 04:38 PM
http://www.********.org/bpn/Martin-Pescador-5546.jpg

Something like this is what my book shows....I also did a little more sharpening and removed the noise in the BG, but what do I know...

Harold Davis
07-16-2008, 04:41 PM
i think the original is more artful!! nice light and all. just my .02.

Pepe Reigada
07-16-2008, 04:44 PM
This is very nice and so is the pose. I think the colors are little off and I have to agree with Doug about the DOF but I actually like it!!
The color of the young is a bit different and it changes with the light

Maxis Gamez
07-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Just a suggestion folks.

Kaushik Balakumar
07-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Lovely pose. Nice eye contact. Will agree with Artie for a slight CW rotation.
Like Maxis, I too feel that in the original post, there's slight colour cast (sort of yellowish) - but am just saying that by looking at the overall image & am no bird expert. Perhaps, the original post is how the bird is in real - I have no idea.

Ramon M. Casares
07-16-2008, 05:33 PM
I love the pose, the light and the sharpness, too bad the feet and erch are not in focus, a bit more DOF would've been great! Terrific image still! Congratulations!

Matias Romano
07-16-2008, 07:06 PM
The pose is surely amazing. Thelight is perfect too, I agree with a little more DOF so as to get better sharpness on the feet and the perch.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Cool pose, details and BG. Wider DOF has been mentioned. Thanks for sharing!

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-16-2008, 07:36 PM
This is a ten out of ten in my book as far as the bird is concerned. Nice to see a different pose than the standard kingfisher on a perch look. I am surprised that no one commented on the perch itself. Yuck. Sorry, I don't like it. I think the brightness od it overpowers the beauty of the kingfisher. (I did read ABPII - available on CD only ;) )

You should be able to reshoot from your hide with a nicer perch. :)

EDIT:

I did move my rather moon-shaped head around the screen to get a different angle on the perch and from some angles it does not look so bright. But I think you could probably set up a nicer one. :) Like Jeroen Stel's images I have seen recently.

Grady Weed
07-16-2008, 08:01 PM
I like the bird as is, not the perch. Considering all things, high marks here for what you got.

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Stunning image Pepe. Love the pose and the BG as well as the wonderful lighting. Just gorgeous !!!!

Juan Aragonés
07-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Hey Pepe thi one is fantastic. Love the unusual pose of the bird facing towards the sky and the nice reddish light but I do not like the perch. The colors looks fine to me, maybe just a little bit overcasted but I think that this is due to the reddish light of the rising sun but that is exactly how the light is early in the morning. The eye details are too good to be true. Congratulations for this excelent image