PDA

View Full Version : Could you take a look at this? 1D MK2N fault, pretty desperate

Troy Tomlin
07-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Hello all, sorry to make this plea a first post. I've not had the confidence to post here before as the photo quality seems so high.

I've had this problem with my 1dMK2N, where it has a floating dark shadow to the right of bright objects but only when they are in front of darker backgrounds...

This is a 100% crop... can you see the dark line all the way down the right side of the gulls wing?

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn237/Werecow/IMG_8570-02.jpg

I've already had the camera in for service once on warranty (yeh it was still just in warranty with canon!) where they replaced the sensor and sent it back... but its still doing it! :confused:

Has anyone seen this before? Is it a characteristic of the 1dmk2n sensor?

It does it with all the lenses i've tried on it... 100-400 L, 500 F4 IS L and 24-70 f2.8 L

It's back again at canon but i've got the feeling it's not going to be fixed yet again.

Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated

Troy

Troy Tomlin
07-16-2008, 02:55 AM
I should add that this is converted from raw with no sharpening added and only a little fill light and white balance alteration done.
Raw shooter reported a tiny thin line of blown highlights in the middle of the leading edge of the wing that instantly disappeared when i moved the highlight contrast down. So its not something to do with massively over exposed edges.

Lots of different raw converters all show the same shadow, before in their preview window and after conversion. Can even see it in the lcd preview on the camera after taking the shot.

Pretty much any shot i take of a bird with white areas on, when the sun is behind me and a darker sea behind the bird will have this fault in.

My 30D has absolutely no sign of this using the same lenses (shame it can't servo af to save its life though!)

Anita Rakestraw
07-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Troy, I don't know what it is, but have occasionally gotten a similar but not nearly as pronounced gray rim on similar shots, with my 1DMk III. I'll be curious to see what people say about this....