This is a 2 1/4 negative scanned

503 CX
1/60s
F/16
160ISO
40mm Lens

Johannes Glännman
07-16-2008, 03:07 AM
I was starting to write that the picture looked like a analog picture, then I saw that it was scanned.. :) It is very nice.. I like the feeling of analog pictures... It makes it more real in some way.

Good FG with the big stones in the water and no reflections.. A bit disturbing that the first stone above water is cut of but it does not mean that much. Personaly I would cut a bit of the sky since it is not so interesting, but not much. Just so the trees is meeting the corner of the picture.

Nice with the big dept in the picture that the mountains are creating together with the big FG.

cheers // Johannes

Valerio Tarone
07-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi James
Ilike very much your image specially the strong prespective ,the stones inFg, a blue dominant that it'not disturbing for me.
i also like see images of Montana where my grandfather spent 15 years as miner in Butte.I gather documents about Butte, what it was and what is now.
Valerio (ITALY)

Robert Amoruso
07-16-2008, 08:12 PM
James,

Like your use of the FG rocks. I would have preferred not to see the rock on right clipped at the edge.

I did a repost where I brought some detail into the shadows using Shadow/Highlights (PSCS3) and then masked out the sky since it started to some posterization. I then did a local contrast enhancement ont he FG using USM on a BG copy, I use a low radius (6) and high amount (170). I masked out everything except the FG rocks for that.

WIth the small JPG could not do much and posterization still showing up in the sky. and the shadows are lacking contrast.

Bruce Murden
07-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Nice comp -- this area calls for the vertical format to bring you into the scene with the FG rocks. I like the implied motion of the light streaks on the rocks from the light waves to start things off. Lots to look at as we move around the frame, all the way back to the layered hills and the triangular shapes of hills and trees.

Was the original a chrome or a negative? If chrome, how close does your scan match the chrome? I'd like to see more contrast in the scene, knowing that it's limited by the atmospheric haze. Perhaps a rescan to implement some of the suggestions Robert has will improve the initial digital file, and allow for some additional tweaks.

Roman Kurywczak
07-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Hi James,
I agree with the recommendations of possible improvements. That being said i agree with Johannes on the sky crop and since the rock on the right is already clipped.......taking some off there without clipping the lower right rock. This would also eliminate most of the distracting evergreens on the ridge line.