PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye to Norma Jean...

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Hi Everyone,
With the greatest respect to the HAP I just had to post this one :):):eek:.
400D 100-400 @400mm
ISO 200
AV F8 1/500 sec
Desaturated in Elements 6 and tweeked in levels.
Best and love to everyone,
Nicki

Katie Rupp
07-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Nicki, I love the detail in the whites and the concept; it could use a little more room on the bottom, for me.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi Katie, actually I agree, but in the original there was a really ugly post which I felt was best left out. I don't have the PS skills yet to add canvas convincingly - it is on my list of things to do!!!

Lance Peters
07-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi Nicki - agree with katie - more room at the bottom, and looks a little unnatural around the feet area - did you apply a blur to the BG??

LOL cant complain about the HA - there isn't one :)

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Hi Lance, no blur applied, but bear in mind that this was taken 3 months ago when I knew even less about everything!!!

Gus Cobos
07-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Hi Nicki,
I actually like this one; nice and bold, out of the box. I modified your image by cropping on both sides of the frame, and off set the bird from the center of frame. I lightened the background just a tad. Now the only thing that you need to do is add more space at the bottom for the feet....hope you like....:D:cool:

Gus Cobos
07-15-2008, 06:09 PM
P.S. Here is the image...:p:D

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi Gus,
I did actually try this crop and couldn't decide at first - then decided that I prefered the wider one! I like the background as you have it.
Regards, Nicki

Gus Hallgren
07-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Hi Nicki;

Love the windblown effect, and can visualize the face that went with it, and if you keep this up the HAP will be out of work. Adding canvas is explained by Robert O'Toole in APTATS-1 CD so well that a WABI (Without A Brain Installed) like me can now do it.
Thanks for sharing . . . Uncle Gus (The older Gus) :D

Arthur Morris
07-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Hey Nikki, No HAP arrest here, just a lens rotation arrest and a toe-clipping charge as well. This HAD to be a VERT. The light and the ruffle are spectacular. Thanks to Gus for the re-post but the darker BKGR is way more dramatic. A VERT with the bird a bit to the right side of the frame would have been a contest winner.... Got your e-mail--will respond tomorrow.

Sharna Lee
07-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Nickie,
This one made me smile BIG :D :D :D
No room to talk on the not knowing how to add to a canvas.
I love the detail in your original and the crop of Gus'.
You did well.

Sharna

Gus Hallgren
07-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Hi . . . Not perrfect, but maybe an idea of what artie was suggesting? . . . Uncle Gus

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-16-2008, 02:54 AM
Hi Guys,
Thanks so much for all your comments and suggestions - Artie, I noticed the rotation just after I posted it - and I MUST get that CD...
Uncle Gus, from one WABI to another, I like your version a lot - thanks for taking the time to do it!
Best to all,
Nicki

Jodee Novak
07-16-2008, 05:34 AM
Niki,

All comments considered above - I LOVE the drama of this image. Of course, Artie makes some wonderful suggestions - and I agree with all of them. But you did a marvelous job with this image. It is spectacular. And, like Lance said, no problem with HA - 'cause there isn't one - but it sure works for me here!

Oscar Zangroniz
07-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Great composition Nicki, very artistic.
Congrats

Nonda Surratt
07-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Nicki, what a wonderful image!!!!!! Loved it at first glance. Like where Uncle Gus is taking this following Artie's suggestion. Would fix and frame this one.!