PDA

View Full Version : Jackal Buzzard

Isak Pretorius
07-15-2008, 11:49 AM
This was taken in the Drakensberg mountains in South Africa. For afternoon photography here in the winter it makes for great side&backlight photographing raptors against the mountain background. The jackal buzzard is a beautiful raptor with loads of charater. I was very fortunate to have had this opportunity and would like to know what you think of this.

1dmk3
600f4
1/2000
f5.6
iso1600
exp comp +1/3 on Av (center weighted)

Axel Hildebrandt
07-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Excellent pose and eye contact. While the backlight shines through some of the feathers, I would have preferred if the sun would have been behind you. Keep them coming!

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Wonderful flight pose and it is awesome to be able to see the topside. The backlighting is nice but I agree with Axel on having the sun behind. Thanks for sharing.

DustinFinn
07-15-2008, 06:18 PM
I don't normally shoot with flash on the camera but I wonder if it would help with some light on the top side here.

You being at ISO1600 I would bet some HighSpeed sync Flash could give a little more light there...

I like the lighting around the bird and do wish for more light on the top.

Wonderful pose, great look and awsome wing span/position.

Arthur Morris
07-15-2008, 07:12 PM
I like this one quite a bit esp. the framing and the COMP. With the back light, the upperparts of the bird look unnaturally light with too much detail I am not sure if my repost is any better or more natural???

Isak Pretorius
07-16-2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone - I appreciate it!

Artie, thanks for this. I think yours does look better. With the +1/3 exp comp on the dark bird against the dark BG it is a bit overexposed.

Geurt Bloem
07-16-2008, 04:41 AM
You did very well here Isak. Great opportunity, well captured.