PDA

View Full Version : Brake and turn

Desmond Chan
07-15-2008, 01:02 AM
Inspired by Nonda, please allow me to shamelessly post one of my blind shots. I use the track-and-pan approach to shoot flying swallows.

D300 70-300 VR @ 102mm; f7 1/1250 sec ISO 400 aperture priority; no flash; hand-held; cropped :o:o

Need more practices.

So, fire away !

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-15-2008, 02:54 AM
Hi Desmond - what's the track-and-pan approach??!!! Well whatever it is, I really like this action shot - such difficult subjects...
Is it possible to sharpen the eye some more? Also on my monitor the blue looks a little strange.
Regards,
Nicki

Oscar Zangroniz
07-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Great action Desmond, does have a little blue tint around the edges of the wings.
Regards,

Nonda Surratt
07-15-2008, 06:32 AM
Zooommmm! Great pose keep going! Agree on the blue

Desmond Chan
07-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi Desmond - what's the track-and-pan approach??!!!

It's the old-fashion pan shots, Nicki.

BTW, here's something by Al and Fabs:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles1007/af1007-1.html

Brian Wong
07-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Inspired by Nonda, please allow me to shamelessly post one of my blind shots. I use the track-and-pan approach to shoot flying swallows.

D300 70-300 VR @ 102mm; f7 1/1250 sec ISO 400 aperture priority; no flash; hand-held; cropped :o:o

Need more practices.

So, fire away !

Hi Desmond!

Glad to see you firing away! Keep it up!! Some suggestions for BIF for you to continue practicing with.

Start trying experimenting with manual exposure. You will find that it helps as the bird flys from background sky, background clouds, and varied dark backgrounds. As you get use to it, you will start to recognize the light, and be able to automatically adjust for white birds and dark birds as they show up.

With your D300, you can keep bumping up the ISO ... and can try experimenting with a faster shutter speed. This will help especially when you get up to the 500 and 600 lenses.

Getting to really know your camera limits with all your practice will always be helpful information.

Desmond Chan
07-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Hi Desmond!

Glad to see you firing away! Keep it up!! Some suggestions for BIF for you to continue practicing with.

Start trying experimenting with manual exposure. You will find that it helps as the bird flys from background sky, background clouds, and varied dark backgrounds. As you get use to it, you will start to recognize the light, and be able to automatically adjust for white birds and dark birds as they show up.

With your D300, you can keep bumping up the ISO ... and can try experimenting with a faster shutter speed. This will help especially when you get up to the 500 and 600 lenses.

Getting to really know your camera limits with all your practice will always be helpful information.

Thanks for the suggestion. What about this one?

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12922

Sharna Lee
07-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Really cool shot Des. I love the wing position. Fantastic.
I can't wait to try some of those techniques when I get a tripod that I can pan with.

Sharna