PDA

View Full Version : Another View of the Mormon Barn

Gayle Clement
07-14-2008, 11:12 PM
I was trying for one more angle on the Mormon barn in the Tetons and pulled out my fisheye lens. I liked the result after I converted the photo in Capture NX2. Black and white conversion using Nik Silver Efex Pro.

Nikon D2X
Nikon 10.5 F2.8 Fisheye
F/22@1/40s
-0.7 EV
ISO 100

Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated.

Brian Wong
07-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Hi Gayle!

Believe me, I'm no landscaper ... but here goes! I really like how the clouds are leading to the subject, as well as the diagonal stream. The branch on the right is also pointing, and is also flowing with the clouds. However, the wooden boards and the clutter seem to lead my eye away from the subject. Am interested to see what the experts see.

Robert Amoruso
07-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Good job Brian.

At first I was not sure about the barn in the center but after you look at the lines in the image, it works for the reasons Brian mentions.

Again I agree with Brian on the boards. I tried cloning them out and you can do it w/o it being noticeable. I just kind of hunt and pecked around using the cloning tool and came up with a good looking result.

Of course Gayle, it is wholly up to you if you wish to clone out the boards. Well done on the conversion to B&W and composition (except for those boards :).)

Julie Kenward
07-15-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm with the others...those boards do tend to pull my eye away from the barn. However, that said, I love the overall silver conversion you have going on here - it's beautiful and fits the scene perfectly. I might suggest trying to lift the lightest tones just a bit more so there is more contrast between the light and medium tones in the image - I think it might make the whole thing pop a bit more. Lovely image overall.

Gayle Clement
07-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks to Julie, Brian and Robert for your comments. I knew leaving those boards in was a risk but I did like the sense of depth they added. Julie, I believe you're right about the need for a bit more contrast. I'll play with this one (or the one I took that didn't include the boards :-P a bit.

Bruce Murden
07-17-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm really happy with the different view of the most-photographed barn in the world (or so it seems). With the new angle, and the BW, you have a good comp here. I'd like to see the barn stand out more against the field and mountains when you work on the contrast a bit. I'm looking forward to your tweaks on this image!

Roman Kurywczak
07-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Hi Gayle,
I agree with the comments about right side of the frame. My recommenation would have been to plant the tripod next to the tree on the right and use the tree line on the left as the framing elementthat you used. This would also make the barn more prominant in the frame as now it seems lost. Tough to get a different view of the most photographed barn ib the US.

Arthur Morris
07-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Count me in with the love the image/hate the boards crowd...