PDA

View Full Version : Night at Nubble

Roman Kurywczak
07-14-2008, 09:41 PM
I have dreamed of this image for a while now and been slowly figuring out how I would go about pulling this shot off. My Mark 3 has opened up a whole new world of possibilities for me and I am here in Maine sharing them with my clients and now with you. Mark 3 with the 28-135mm lens at 30mm and ISO 3200 and f4.5 for 30 seconds. I used my hand to block out half the lens when the lighthouse flashed .........blocking out the brightness of the beam.........and then would remove it when it wasn't on.........throughout the entire exposure. The water is moonlit providing the etheral effect.......all tripod mounted.
As always comments welcomed and appreciated...........but I'm off to do the Puffin and more lighthouses tomorrow.......so may not be able to reply till Wed. .........but i will try to pop in tomorrow.

Michael Pancier
07-14-2008, 10:20 PM
i've never seen this lighthouse in the dark. truly impressive. beautiful and noise free

Gayle Clement
07-14-2008, 11:15 PM
This is quite an amazing image. I love the composition and the sprinkling of stars.

Grady Weed
07-15-2008, 08:32 AM
This one difficult lighthouse to image and make something of it. You have the power lines to the left of the frame. A out building as well. And you have the parking lot Roman is taking the image from. To your right are private residences and marked as such. If you put a toe on their land you go to the jail house. Precarious rocks surround you, and the waves will wash your dead body out to sea after they dash you to pieces. So Roman did well here to say the least. Storm images from here are hard to get because most of the wind and waves come directly at you in the storm due to the wide open Atlantic you are looking at.

See you in South Portland at the headlight!

Brian Wong
07-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi Roman!

I like this a lot and it is great to see how you can push the technology. The soft water looks beautiful, and with the red reflections in the forground... has a real "sci-fi" feel to it.

Robert Amoruso
07-15-2008, 12:26 PM
This came out really well Roman. The clarity on the lighthouse is phenomenal. I might try desaturating the red some - mostly on the rocks.

Julie Kenward
07-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Perfection. From the light on the rocks to the stars in the sky. Perfection.

Mike Lentz
07-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Very very well done! I might also dial back the reds in the water just a wee bit.

Kaushik Balakumar
07-23-2008, 05:53 AM
Beautiful Roman. Creative idea to have blocked the light with ur hands when it was beaming at u.
Liked this image a lot.