PDA

View Full Version : Moth Mullein Buds Opening

Ed Vatza
07-14-2008, 09:37 PM
OK, Mike and Lana have cornered the market on Moth Mullein buds. But this evening I came across some Moth Mullein (at least that's what I think it is) just starting to bloom. This was a particularly short plant so I had to really hunker down with the tripod out flat on the ground. While sprawled out making images, I looked up to my left anf there on a hill was a doe and fawn seemingly watching the idiot stretched out on the ground. I made some single flower close-ups as well as multi-flower images but seemed to like this particular series the best.

Anyway, image made using my Rebel XT, Sigma 150mm Macro, Canon 430 EX Flash with LumiQuest Softbox mounted on a flexible bracket and all tripod mounted.

1/80 sec at f/11; ISO 800; -1/3 EV; FEC -1

Kaushik Balakumar
07-15-2008, 04:40 AM
Lovely colour contrast Ed. Lovely BG to go with. Just wish for little more space on top - similar to the one u've given at the bottom of the OOF flower. But this is just a matter personal taste.

Lana Hays
07-15-2008, 05:53 AM
Ed
I wouldn't have known what I'd photographed if Mike hadn't identified it. What's funny is I thought the buds were more interesting than the flowers when I viewed my first one. Of course it only had one bloom at the time. I'd probably like more room at the top as well. The closer to the top, the buds were closer together and made it look "less stretched out". Great BG....which I'm finding very hard to get in macro. Well done.

Ed Vatza
07-15-2008, 06:01 AM
Thanks Kaushik. Thanks Lana. Appreciate the feedback. I probably made 40-50 images at different f-stops, etc. I also moved the subject around a bit in the frame as well. Here is one made at f/16 with the subject just slightly lower in the frame. Better?

1/50 sec at f/16; ISO 800; -1/3 EV; FEC -1

Lana Hays
07-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Ed
I have so little experience with macro that you'll have to take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I'm thinking that I like this one a little better. With such a dark BG and bright flower, I like to see more detail in the back flower. If it were blurred more it might be more of a distraction as it would stand out due to the brightness and possibly distract. I don't know if that makes any sense or not.....just a thought.

Julie Kenward
07-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Love the repost, Ed. I think what I like about all these shots are the backlighting and the way that illuminates the little hairs along the plant's edges.

Kaushik Balakumar
07-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Liked the re-post Ed.
:)

Robert O'Toole
07-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Good repost Ed, good work!

Interesting subjects!

Robert

Ed Vatza
07-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback on the re-post. I thought is was a bit better as well.

I know I am stating the obvious but I am quickly learning the importance of capturing the moment and getting all the images that I would want at that single point in time. I returned to the same location that I made these images the very next day and the flowers were gone. Same thing happened to me with the Butter and Eggs that I posted earlier in the week. The life of many of these wildflowers is often so fleeting!