PDA

View Full Version : Moth Mullein buds

Lana Hays
07-14-2008, 04:08 PM
I noticed these buds a couple of weeks ago and didn't appreciate the intricacy and beauty until I photographed them with the macro lens. Mike Moats wonderful image made me decide to post one. This was early one morning. I only had one angle which made it backlit. I calibrated my MacBook Pro.....my only computer and the first time ever so I haven't figured out if it's accurate or if the colors were better before I ever fooled with it.
Canon 1DMkIIN, Sigma 150mm, tripod
ISO 400, f/8, ss 1/200
ACR RAW conversion, cropped slightly from top/right, levels, USM

Sharna Lee
07-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Lana! This image is splendid!!!!! The colors are excellent here. You did an awesome job.
I truely love that bg. It compliments this flower so well. I'm glad that you decided to post this.
Makes me truely long for that macro lens now :D.

Sharna

Arthur Morris
07-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Superb and surreal. Love the dew drops (???) and the backlight.

Don Lacy
07-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Beautiful shot the lighting is surreal, my only suggestion would be for a little more DOF if you could have manage it with out losing the wonderful BG

Julie Kenward
07-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Beautiful! Love that background and all the dew. You've given Mike a run for his money!

Ed Vatza
07-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Nice image, Lana. Very interesting layered background. The buds looks crisp and sharp until you get toward the top. Then the hairs start to blur. I guess the plant had a slight backward lean. Maybe a bit more dof would have helped.

I don't think that is dew, is it? It looks like very small fine hairs on the buds. If you look at my buds opening image taken in the evening, you will see some of the same hairs.

Lana Hays
07-15-2008, 06:29 AM
Ed's right....this isn't dew but rather small fine hairs. I found this one really looked interesting backlit and did give the appearance of dew. I played with a couple of different f/stops but found this one worked best with the BG which was grass, road, garden, field. Thanks for all the nice compliments.....this is really a lot of fun.

Mike Moats
07-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Hey Lana, glad to see the macro is working out well and your having fun. The layers of colors in the BG are awesome, I would love to have that BG on mine, it really adds a nice touch. Well done,and keep em coming.

Kaushik Balakumar
07-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Excellent image Lana. Liked the way the plant bends graciously as it rises up. Lovely buds with good details. And most of all, an excellent BG.

Robert O'Toole
07-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Beautiful Lana, I love the BG esp, the colors and the layered effect is just amazing.

Robert