PDA

View Full Version : Common Loon Family

Jeff Nadler
07-14-2008, 02:34 PM
http://www.jnphoto.net/loon-n5016.jpg

Adirondacks, 7AM, fog . . Canon 300 2.8IS plus 1.4x handheld from my kayak.

Although I compensated the exposure for fog, the Raw image was really flat. Unfortunately, increasing exposure via the Breezebrowser Pro conversion and then increasing levels, curves, etc. in Photoshop, as expected, introduced noise and color noise in much of my shots. Yet, increasing exposure at image capture did blow out the whites on chest.

Trying to remove noise via Noise Ninja or photoshop removes desirable plumage detail so i'm stuck!

Urgent - I am trying to decide whether to rebook a trip and reshoot these birds without fog or salvage these by removing the noise. Thoughts?

Blake Shadle
07-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Wow, Jeff you're definitely in a pickle! I'm not sure if this image could be recreated. Very special, very intimate. Me personally? I would have to give it another go. I wouldn't discard these by any means, I would do my best to remove the noise. But if you think that you have any chance to recreate this moment in great light and it's within your budget, I would go back and make some magic!

Kaushik Balakumar
07-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Oops, am surely not the guy who can suggest weather u shud re-visit the place - I'll leave it to experts...
Regarding this image, it is such a wonderful moment. Perfect setting - the adults facing each other & the chik's looking right at u. To top it, nice eye contact of all the 3 individuals. Thanks for sharing.

Arthur Morris
07-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Yes, the juxtaposition is a once in a lifetime moment. I like it a lot as is and wish only that each of the adults had turned their head a bit more toward you.

Maxis Gamez
07-14-2008, 06:08 PM
This is very intimate. Very nice low angle and composition. You did the best you could with the light. Excellent work!

Fabs Forns
07-14-2008, 06:26 PM
I would try and save this by all means. Even if you go back, the moment may not repeat itself.
Do you want to send me the RAW? PM me and I'll tell you how to send it over the internet, I'll try my best to fix it for you :)

Grady Weed
07-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Jeff

Huge congrats here on making this image, at all! Just to get them in the same frame is an accomplishment. Knowing you, you will go back and make it perfect. But as is, it is worth trying to save. Now your another one up on me. I cant wait for the chicks here to hatch. This just wets the appetite more. Go get them Jeff.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Excellent capture, I like the intimate mood and think it is definitely worth keeping. I don't know what the chances are that you would be able to make similar images if you were to go back, but with some PS magic this image should look great.