PDA

View Full Version : American Coot

Jack Backs
12-17-2023, 05:34 PM
I don't get many coot in flight chances. I know a little past prime position but I liked the background. I guess there's no tucking those feet in.
DxO and cropped.
Nikon Z9, 800/6.3S
f/7.1, 1/3200s, iso1250

Steve Kaluski
12-18-2023, 07:18 AM
Its quite a strike background for the subject to sit on Jack, and it does separate the subject.

Personally I'm not sure the WB/rendering of the subject is correct, looks a bit too yellow, removing the Blue/magenta/Purple hips in the beak are far wing, but you roll the dice with DXO... There is also some funky stuff in the bottom RHC???

When viewed at actual size, it is sharp, some nice plumage detail on the belly and the wet feet glissen.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
12-18-2023, 07:37 AM
Interesting shot, FWIW I tried a white balance on coot Auto, you could leave thebackground as is.

Andreas Liedmann
12-18-2023, 08:41 AM
Hi Jack .. oh that is an intense color image .
I do love it as posted ... would not alter the WB as I think it is shot in golden light ?! I would maybe drop the BG intensity , a touch .
Pose is good , as are the tones and details .

TFS Andreas

Jack Backs
12-18-2023, 09:25 AM
Yes, it was shot early in the morning.

Arthur Morris
12-18-2023, 04:10 PM
You do not see flight shots of coots very often. This one is quite excellent. The color on the bird looks great and the color of the background is the color of the background in the early light. I wish that the bird's head was angled slightly towards us rather than slightly away from us. I said the same thing this morning with regards to a Boat-tailed Grackle flight shot of mine.

with love, artie

arash_hazeghi
01-07-2024, 04:38 PM
don't see that many coot flight shots the BG added so much drama to this, I agree with Artie re. HA but this is a great frame

TFS