PDA

View Full Version : White-eye strikes a pose

Sidharth Kodikal
11-22-2023, 02:34 AM
Not uncommon, but constantly on the move.
Happy this one posed for me, ever so briefly.

Setup, with fruit used as an attractant.

Cannon R5, 600f4, tripod, hide
1/2000, f9, ISO 2500.

BG was a bright green. Reduced sat and luminance on green in the HSL panel to give the bird and perch some separation (although I tend to like bright backgrounds these days)

All feedback and reposts welcome.

Thanks!

Steve Kaluski
11-22-2023, 05:01 AM
Hi Sid, again a nice, clean & simple capture with a good HA.

You have detail and sharpness, just watch the whites, they are not blown but helps if there is a little tone in there, albeit a 256 colour image.

I tend to like bright backgrounds these days

Overall it is bright Sid, personally having some variation in light even for the BKG, I think adds to the capture giving more tonal range, interest and 'authenticity/gravitas'. I like the perch with the intertwined creeper, but again, everything is bathed in the same bright light, having a more softer light will offer softer shadows and more tonal range.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
11-22-2023, 06:20 AM
I like as presented, after seeing Steve's comments I would agree:-
perhaps the background top right could be a tad darker, also maybe the base - a little. (Use Linear Gradient tool).
The neck is pretty intense again using a mask at raw stage maybe adjust Saturation and Luminosity to get a little more detail. See what a little Clarity may may not do on the eye?

Steve Kaluski
11-22-2023, 06:24 AM
See what a little Clarity may may not do on the eye?

Jon, remembering what these tools actually do/apply/create..., is that the correct tool??????

Sidharth Kodikal
11-22-2023, 06:30 AM
Thanks folks. Will work on an RP when I'm back at my desk.

Arthur Morris
11-22-2023, 07:25 AM
I'd suggest a small crop from the bottom. Otherwise, everything looks great to me.

with love, artie

Sidharth Kodikal
11-22-2023, 07:26 AM
Radial gradient to make the top right a tad darker.
Linear gradient to make the bottom a tad darker.
Clarity on the eye.
Perch darkened a bit.
Reduced exposure on the throat area.
A bit of black added to the yellow.
PS: Also croped per Artie's suggestion.

I did get tons of photos of this species that I haven't looked at yet. I'm sure I'll find one I like from later in the afternoon when light was softer.

Sidharth Kodikal
11-22-2023, 07:32 AM
I'd suggest a small crop from the bottom. Otherwise, everything looks great to me.

with love, artie

Hey Artie, thanks. Always great hearing from you.

Jonathan Ashton
11-22-2023, 01:30 PM
Jon, remembering what these tools actually do/apply/create..., is that the correct tool??????

So what would you suggest in lieu? What would be better???

Steve Kaluski
11-22-2023, 02:20 PM
So what would you suggest in lieu? What would be better???

Jon, let's look at the area, which basically consists of white, black and say a 60% grey (for the orange ring), all quite contrasty in their own right, yes? Therefore you re suggesting applying Clarity which is a Contrast based adjustment, so by applying even more Contrast to the eye.....

What would I suggest, hard to say without seeing the raw because it all depends on the white, is there tone or not, you can forget about the black & orange. You could just do a simple adjustment, or create a channel mask and couple it with a Curve or Exposure, plus a Blend mode, or just apply a suitable Channel Blend mode %, which is the easiest. At the end of the day it all comes down to is it worth it, as you have a small file, compressed and working with only 256 colours, therefore would it be noticed?

Based on Sids repost I think he has just reduced the overall Exp which has then helped the eye, he may have applied Clarity to the eye as well, and therefore my assumption is wrong??????

Personally it's not an adjustment I would choose to do based on the above. :S3:

Sidharth Kodikal
11-23-2023, 01:03 AM
Based on Sids repost I think he has just reduced the overall Exp which has then helped the eye, he may have applied Clarity to the eye as well ...

I brushed a mask on the eye ring in ACR, and reduced exposure. And then added some clarity to the entire eye.

Jonathan Ashton
11-23-2023, 01:31 AM
I think there is some misunderstanding here, when I said Clarity to the eye, I literally meant the eyeball, this often renders the iris and pupil more distinctly. I try it on most of my images, it often works well and if it does not have a discernible effect then I remove it.

Jack Backs
11-26-2023, 06:32 PM
Looks pretty good. The only thing that bothers me is that it is an obviously staged perch because of the unnaturally sharp cuts on the bottom of the perch. Really nice background.

Sidharth Kodikal
11-27-2023, 07:54 AM
Fully agree, Jack. Thanks for commenting.