PDA

View Full Version : Electric Green

Sidharth Kodikal
10-31-2023, 06:02 AM
Stoked to get this electric green female Jerdon's leafbird in nice evening light, striking my favorite pose.

I've seen images of this bird that appear lime green. This one wasn't.

Few leaves removed from the bottom left via Content aware fill.

Canon R5, 600f4, tripod, hide
Bird attracted with fruit.

1/2000, f9, ISO 5000, manual

I was tentative with PP on this one. The bird really look this striking and fluorescent in real life. I hesitate to make it any darker.
Removed some magenta from the perch. Not sure if I got it all.
Almost full frame.

All feedback and reposts welcomed. Thanks!

Jonathan Ashton
10-31-2023, 09:40 AM
Beautiful shot Sid, If mine i would attempt to contrast the subject a little more with the background - Steve would say give the image depth!

Steve Kaluski
10-31-2023, 01:47 PM
Hi Sid, in 2015 we had 50 Shades of Grey, now in 2023 we have the sequel, 250 Shades of Green, :bg3:

I would they and simply reduce the colour of the BKG so its not competing with the subject and so you have more separation between the two and more standout of the subject. All the colours of the OP are quite similar so going for a less 'intensive' backdrop I think helps.

Don't go for the colours, Im just trying to illustrate my point, you get that 'layer' effect.

Steve would say give the image depth!

Got it Jon.

Cheers
Steve

Sidharth Kodikal
10-31-2023, 10:27 PM
Hi Sid, in 2015 we had 50 Shades of Grey, now in 2023 we have the sequel, 250 Shades of Green, :bg3:

Hah! Coincidentally, I did post 50 Shades of Green in 2015. Figured I'd follow that up with 200 more shades.
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/127485-Female-Green-Honeycreeper-with-a-snack

Rookie question - how do you reduce color?

Thank you, Steve!

Cheers

Steve Kaluski
11-01-2023, 02:06 AM
Sid, not ideal, but the quickest/easiest as I think you use Lr only. If you use the BKG Mask then the Colour point next to the HSL panel, you can change the green backdrop, you need to toggle the sliders and range setting. But the masks are not 100% so you will need to tickle areas on the mask.

Daniel Cadieux
11-01-2023, 05:17 AM
I gotta admit I love the colour gut-punch the OP offers. Everything is becoming grey here with the upcoming winter, so I am refreshed with the colours! Great pose too, I agree with you. I'm not a big fan of the very dark shadow under the perch, but it is not too obstructive so no biggie this time around. I like Steve's version too with the more subdued BG.

Steve Kaluski
11-01-2023, 05:45 AM
Sid, you can also think OOTB on the BKG, the world is your 'lobster' when you wish to be a bit creative. So if you do decide to manipulate a file re background you have many options.

I must stress that this is purely as an example and NOT a definitive or option in direction.

Sidharth Kodikal
11-01-2023, 06:21 AM
Hey Steve, you're so generous with your time and knowledge -- I truly appreciate it :cheers:

I'm a PS only user; don't have LR, but will look for equivalent sliders on PS.
This will be a handy tool to have in the toolbelt.

For this image, as of this minute, I'm partial to the OP, likely because I was grinning ear to ear while clicking this scene. It was so vibrant and memorable.
I'll play around with this file once that hangover has passed :t3

Thank you!

Steve Kaluski
11-01-2023, 06:25 AM
Hey Steve, you're so generous with your time and knowledge -- I truly appreciate it

Sid you are most welcome.

For this image, as of this minute, I'm partial to the OP, likely because I was grinning ear to ear while clicking this scene. It was so vibrant and memorable.

Sid you are the photographer, artist, creator, I'm just making suggestions/options.

Sidharth Kodikal
11-01-2023, 07:22 AM
Coach Kaluski had me thinking :S3:
Does this tweak look better, Steve & Jon?

Masking the BG + color change done in ACR.
PS for resizing and sharpening.

I think I like this more than the OP.

Steve Kaluski
11-01-2023, 08:01 AM
Does this tweak look better, Steve & Jon?

Hi Sid, I think we might be going a little off track, however.... fun to explore.

As soon s we import an image and make any change, irrespective of how minor, we have already 'manipulated' the image from the original capture, how far we choose to take it, is a decision that can only be taken by the author. Most of the time we try to replicate the image to the best of our recollection, but changing the backdrop from a green to an orange I guess your feeling is that it 'enhances' the capture and overall, it looks/appears better. That is as I say, your choice and if you do then acknowledge the fact I think is OK. This is just my own POV and others may disagree.

The fact you/we now have the tools to elevate our images just comes down to how far we take it Sid. Currently I trying to help Gerald achieve some subtle colour tweaks taking on board these new enhancements, where previously we didn't have the level/degree of adjustment we have now. Fundamentally its not changing the image/backdrop, it's purely being able to refine designated colours within the subject.

Sidharth Kodikal
11-01-2023, 08:15 AM
I'm not opposed to digital manipulation when disclosed, but the original BG just wasn't this warm / orange. went overboard with the newly discovered toy :)

I think for the final version I'll make very very slight tweak to the OK BG, but keep it green and bright.

Ok, I've stared at this file for a bit too long. I'm going to park it for now.

Steve Kaluski
11-01-2023, 08:18 AM
Sid, the orange suggestion was purely to go 'overboard' illustrating you can changer it to whatever you want. :S3:

Ok, I've stared at this file for a bit too long. I'm going to park it for now.

:5

Arthur Morris
11-01-2023, 06:13 PM
Siddarth, it is a great pleasure seeing your fine images here again. I love the OP as well as Steve's first repost (in pane 3).'

with love, artie