PDA

View Full Version : Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Jonathan Ashton
10-19-2023, 08:42 AM
Firstly sorry I have not been commenting or posting in factI have not been able to make any posts for some time - for some reason the website did not present itself in an amenable manner, I eventually persuaded it to behave - not too sure how so I hope it doesn't happen again!

This stag was strutting his stuff and rounding up his hinds. I have cropped to 3:2 ratio and generated a small area at the base. I eliminated an OOF hind top right. I can't tell you how many different versions I have made in terms of colour rendition, this is probably a little brighter than reality. I don't think it is too far out, I welcome all C&C, hope y'all like it!

OM-1 150-400TC
Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 427.0mm
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
ISO : 1600
Exposure compensation : +0.3 EV
Shutter : 1/2000 sec
Aperture : F6.3

ACR/PSCC

Steve Kaluski
10-19-2023, 11:04 AM
Hi Jon, nice to have you back posting and like Will's, this is a lovely capture of a roaring stag. OK it might not be in a nice Glen, or scenic Bradgate Park, Richmond, but he's in full flight during the rut!

Personally I don't feel, like you, its that far off, I might try dropping the Blue, Magenta & Purple to -75 in the S of HSL bring that red coat up a bit more in the S and drop the Greens in the H tab. Bring the HL's down on the tip of the rack. Perhaps also adjusting some of the Selective colours to add a fraction more punch in the darks????

Saying that you have good the capture of him bellowing/roaring which is nice with good space all round. Techs look good with decent SS and its sharp.

Nice one.

TFS
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
10-19-2023, 11:16 AM
Well captured Jon, you must be very pleased with this! Great expression from the deer, that eye looks wild!

Solid techs, good framing, I like the sharpness and detail. I leave the colours to Steve, though must say I quite like the rich tonality of the subject's coat.

For me a lovely behavioural capture and I enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing.

Kind regards,

Jonathan Ashton
10-19-2023, 04:37 PM
Glad you liked it Gabriela, I have a few more perhaps with a little more dramatic light.
Steve the colours - thanks those suggestions helped me a great deal, I will bare them in mind for future posts...( I always get myself confused when I adjust Hues)