PDA

View Full Version : Wounderful morning

Johannes Glännman
07-14-2008, 07:21 AM
Hi guys...

Landscape with 300mm.... Made this shoot today when I got to my place for birdwatching.. I really like the marks after the tractor and the very short dept of field thats bringing the feeling of a brand new morning...

What do you think ?

EXIF-data
Nikon D80
Nikon AF-I 300/2.8 at 13
Iso 200
Shutter 1/200s

cheers // johannes

Roman Kurywczak
07-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi Johannes,
The sky really draws my eye too much. A split nd filter would have darkened the sky a bit and brought out more of the details in it while also allowing you to lighten the FG a it. I like the leading lines of the tractor path and don't mind the shallow DOF too much........the sky is just too overpowering because of the brightness.

Robert Amoruso
07-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Johannes,

Roman captures my comments well. In the report I did two curves adjustment - one to lower the sky contrast (3/4 tone point on curve pulled right and down) and one to brighten the FG (1/4 tone point on curve pulled left and up). I applied a gradient mask to each to limit the affect to the intended area.

I like the tractor lines and the backlighting in the grass. DOF on the grass works really well. A bit of OOF in the immediate FG, then sharp and then receding into OOF again. That works really well. I also crop more of the sky out.

Looks like a dust spot in the sky - clone it or better yet use the healing brush.

Robert Amoruso
07-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Layers and Curves adjustment for repost above.

Julie Kenward
07-15-2008, 12:51 PM
I liked the original but I love Robert's repost. I didn't have so much trouble with the brightness of the sky as I did the darkness of the foreground grass. This was a perfect way to meld those two together.

Johannes Glännman
07-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Hello....

I was checking if I got any answers and I could not believe what I saw. That answer you did there Robert must be the best answer and help on an image I have ever get... I new what you ment by your answer to Roman but I could not see where I would find a filter that fit my 300/2.8 :) But I really saw your point....

Thanks to Julie to...

I am really happy to that you liked the idea about the comp and short dept of field... As this was the first time I tried it liked this.

And ofcourse I tried myself to do it with the help of Mats that for making me join this forum....

here is the result...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Jonte_rm/20080714-_DSC0004-2copy.jpg

cheers // johannes

Robert Amoruso
07-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Good work Johannes. I like that you posted your new version. Looks good and you upped the grass a bit more - I like that better then what I did.

Johannes Glännman
07-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Thank you :)

mvh // johannes