PDA

View Full Version : Gullscape

Steve Kaluski
10-17-2023, 04:33 AM
Young Gerald posted something elsewhere which inspired me to look back at a few files that really didn't see the light. Now with the recent updates and enhancements within Lr, ACR/PS it was worth a revisit.

Note, NO NR applied!!!!

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Gulls on iceberg
Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Lens: EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM HH
Exposure: 1/1000s at f/14 ISO640
Original format: Landscape, very small crop almost FF
Processed via: LRCC 13.1 & PS'25

Dorian Anderson
10-17-2023, 12:23 PM
This is cool, no pun intended. The ice is really interesting and the clouds add nice depth/texture to the sky. Birds are merely decoration but complete the frame.

And why would you (or anyone else) apply NR to a (virtually) uncropped image taken on a 30MP FF camera at ISO 640? Am I missing something?

Dave Goldberg
10-17-2023, 02:28 PM
I like everything about this. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Gabriela Plesea
10-17-2023, 03:12 PM
Oh...it's beautiful ! Love the colour palette. The landscape...the light... and the gulls, small in the frame.
Lovely image design and PP is outstanding, enjoyed viewing, very much, thank you Steve:cheers:

Gerald Kelberg
10-18-2023, 07:13 AM
Delightful image! It really captures the light of Svalbard. The shape of the ice, the sea, the sky, the distant mountains and of course the gulls. Love it!

Thanks for sharing,

(Young:w3) Gerald

Sidharth Kodikal
10-18-2023, 10:15 PM
Hi Steve, I love the landscape and the shapes. I like the the gulls are sprinkled fairly symmetrically, but the birds themselves; either their poses or their activity isn't terribly engaging. I'm not sure how to articulate this well, but this isn't grabbing me as a bird-scape. Sorry to be the odd one out on this one, Steve.

Steve Kaluski
10-19-2023, 03:40 AM
And why would you (or anyone else) apply NR to a (virtually) uncropped image taken on a 30MP FF camera at ISO 640? Am I missing something?

No Dorian, you are not missing anything, even cropped, why are folk obsessed by adding NR to images below ISO1600, I'm just trying to make a point that if properly exposed you don't need NR, and it could do more damage than good. Plus, if the image was to be printed, whatever folk 'think' they see, it probably would not appear in the print.

I like everything about this. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Cheers Dave

The landscape...the light... and the gulls, small in the frame.

Thanks Gabriela, a nice break from Africa. :w3

It really captures the light of Svalbard.
Thanks Gerald, great 'barometer' as you are one of the very few folk who have been here and can make an informative judgement. :cheers:

Sorry to be the odd one out on this one, Steve.

That is absolutely fine Sid, we all see things differently and it would be very boring if we all just posted the same thing. :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
10-19-2023, 09:17 AM
Beautiful - printworthy I 'd say. Love the composition and the subtle tones in the foreground and background delightful composition.