PDA

View Full Version : Alcedo Atthis / Kingfisher

Inge Schepers
01-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I am trying to improve my photography skills and hope you guys will leave some comments and/or tips that will help me do that.

This photo was taken in the Netherlands on a somewhat cloudy last summer. It was taken from a hide. Photography equipment: Canon EOS 30D, Sigma 50-500 mm at app. 400mm, F11. Slightly cropped, but not much, because I removed a strip of green at the top of the image.

Comments and suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance...

Regards,
Inge

Axel Hildebrandt
01-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Welcome, Inge. This is a very nice first post. I like the pose, angle and BG. As a horizontal I might put the bird a little bit further to the right. It would also work as a vertical. Keep them coming.

Rosl Roessner
01-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi Inge,
I love all of the kingfishers!
Very nice colours and pleasing BG

George DeCamp
01-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Hi Inge!

First welcome to BPN, I hope you enjoy the place! :)

Lucky you to have captured such a beautiful bird. Exposure looks good, the background is nice as well. I think only a little crop off the right side would be all I could suggest here as well. Good job and hope to see more!!

Gerald Kelberg
01-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi,

I love the posture of the bird, and the colours of the bird against the background.
For me the idea of sending the bird more to the right / centre would remove the dynamic created by the space, so can't agree with Axel.

Super shot!

Gerald

Inge Schepers
01-11-2008, 02:23 AM
Thanks to everyone for the replies. It's funny to see you guys can't seem to agree on the compostion. :) I couldn't make up my mind about that one myself!

The reason why I chose this composition, is because I always like to give the subject some "space". A direction it might have been moving into, or just because it was looking in a certain direction. For some reason, I usually don't like very tight framing, unless I am really focusing on some detail, as might be the case with a portrait kind of photo. (Try that one with a kingfisher! :) )

As these birds are very skittish, I put up my camera in this position, which was the "safest" bet for me. I didn't dare move my camera after that. If I get another chance, I will try a vertical composition, to see how that turns out.

Dick Boone
01-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi Inge,

Great image! Not going to comment on the techicals as everything looks good. I see from some of the other commentors that you are using too much negative space. I could not agree less! Your composition is very strong, and your use of negative space (which so few people are willing to try, and even fewer understand) creates a tension in the image - ?Is he about to fly off? ?I wonder what he's looking at? This bird is a predator and all predatory species are very aware of their surroundings. He is also a free, totally wild creature. It would be a shame to see him confined to a smaller space. Keep up the good work, and don't fall into the "stay inside the box" trap.

Dick

Gus Cobos
03-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Very lovely image, love the composition, background and the colors of your subject..

CONGRATS...:D

Gus...:cool: