PDA

View Full Version : The gift!

Gerald Kelberg
10-06-2023, 08:02 AM
European Bee-eaters (Merops apiaster) are such rewarding birds to spend time watching and photographing.

Not only are their colours spectacular, but there is always something going on - particularly in the breeding season.

They migrate from Africa to southern and central Europe in April/May - this pair in central Spain were in a small colony in a gully; busy digging a nest hole in a sandy bank, taking time out for feeding and courtship.

Shot with a Sony A9II and FE 100-400 at 339mm. Shutter speed 1/2500 at f/6.3, ISO 400. I particularly like the shape created by the two birds as he offers the gift and she reaches hungrily to grab it.

Image cropped for presentation, a few wayward twigs evicted. Minor adjustments to blacks and brightness overall. No NR required at all. Sharpened in Lr. Resized in PS and a light USM sharpening for output.

Comments and suggestions warmly welcomed.

Gerald

William Dickson
10-07-2023, 01:49 PM
Very colourful and pleasing to the eye Gerald. I like how you have cropped this. I would reduce the yellows on the throats and back, and also on the perch. They are quite hot at 254. That would also bring out more detail. It looks ok as is, but I would try lifting the shadows on the face of the bird on our left, especially the blacks behind the eye. The inclusion of the twigs above, works for me. The BG is perfect for the occasion. Great interaction which adds to the image. Would love to photograph these birds.

Will

Steve Kaluski
10-08-2023, 01:57 AM
Hi Gerald, nice capture and I like the overall colour palette, I might just lift the lights in the Parametric Curve, just brightens things a fraction. Just watch in pushing the colours that they don't bleed and loose detail. Sharp at actually size, but unlike Will, I feel the vegetation needs to go, I don't think it adds, more distracts, but... Being ultra picky the little nodule to the left of the bird could go, just 'streamlines' the perch. Techs looks good, wise to have a high SS to freeze the action.

TFS
Steve

Gerald Kelberg
10-08-2023, 11:13 AM
Will, Steve, thanks very much for dropping by and leaving your comments.

Yes the yellows and that white bib under the chin can be tricky - I tried knocking it back a little but didn't like it. You would really enjoy these guys - so much fun!

I can see the argument for evicting the greenery - I don't feel strongly either way. Just a little naked without it. Nodule noted!

Thanks,

Gerald

Steve Kaluski
10-08-2023, 11:32 AM
I might be lucky again in Africa next year Gerald, fingers crossed. :w3

Jonathan Ashton
10-09-2023, 04:59 AM
A really pleasing image, I like the composition, I am ambivalent regarding the vegetation. I think very good as presented though I think I would investigate the brightest and darkest components to see if a little more detail could be obtained.

Sidharth Kodikal
10-10-2023, 01:23 AM
Nice interaction captured. I too would evict the vegetation and maybe come in from the left for a different comp option. TFS.

Gabriela Plesea
10-17-2023, 03:16 PM
Hello Gerald,

I am so enjoying your images! Like the composition here and interaction - points to behaviour.
Great techs, nice and sharp with lovely detail. Mmmmm...not too fond of the branch in the top right corner:tinysmile_shy_t: nevertheless a beautiful image with lots to look at, thank you so much for sharing !

Kind regards,