PDA

View Full Version : Tough Week

Mike Moats
07-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Sorry I can't comment as much as I'd like and as in depth, but this is a crazy week for me, as I have my two largest arts shows running back to back. The two shows run seven days out of nine. I leave at daybreak and don't get home till dark, and then spend most of the night printing more for the next day. I run on about three to four hours of sleep each night. But by the end of the week the money makes it all worth it. I just completed the first three days and did a thousand dollars over last years sales, so I guess the gas prices haven't effected the art shows in Michigan, as my sales have been up this year at my Michigan shows. I think our BPN group of photographers have been posting some really nice stuff, and doing a great job with their critiques. I hope everyone continues on this path to better images. Here's some backlight Moth Mullein buds.

Fuji S5, Sigma 180 macro, Tripod, F5.6

Julie Kenward
07-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Mike, that's great news that you're doing so well this year as I know you were a bit worried about it! This is a beautiful image - great backlighting and wonderful detail on the entire plant.

Here's a question for you...how do you feel about the little spiderwebs on plants like this? Do you generally leave them there for printed images or do you mostly clone them out?

Mike Moats
07-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Hey Julie, I don't mind the webs as they are very tiny so they don't distract you from the rest of the image. If they were large webs that looked cluttered and drew your eye away from the mian subject than I would clone them out.

Lana Hays
07-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Mike
I got a big smile when I saw this image. I've photographed several of these in the last couple of weeks.....and one is backlit which I think I'll post. I find them fascinating and discovered it was a great lesson in not realizing the wonders of the small world until you get into macro. I like the spider webs.....gives it a more realistic touch. Good luck on your shows!!!

Mike Moats
07-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Hey Lana, it is addictive.

Sharna Lee
07-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Mike,
I truely love this image! I keep an eye out for your posts daily. I'm glad that your work is panning out for you so well. You deserve it with your lovely images.
I don't mind the spider webs. As Lana pointed out they give the plant a more real effect.
Great job here.

Sharna

Don Lacy
07-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Wonderful image the backlighting really pops the the bud off the BG.

Ed Vatza
07-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Love the lighting and background here, Mike. Excellent image.

Glad to hear things are going well on the business end as well.

Kaushik Balakumar
07-15-2008, 04:06 AM
Wish u all the good luck Mike. Glad that u r doing well with sales.

Robert O'Toole
07-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Very nice Mike. The details and rim lighting are amazing.

Robert

Anita Rakestraw
07-20-2008, 03:56 AM
As always, Mike, a gorgeous macro! Love the backlighting and the great sharpness & detail. You must feel good about the way your art shows are going - that's terrific!! And I like the webs too!