PDA

View Full Version : White Throated Dipper II

Andreas Liedmann
09-22-2023, 12:51 PM
Hi folks ...
as the Little Owls are out of reach , I have to look for another " project " that might worth spending some time with .
Not as easy to reach as the Owls , each time it is 1 hour drive required ... not like 5 min with the bike to the Owls .
Nonetheless an exciting experience for me with the Dipper .
I have found an individual that is quite relaxed with my presence , no camouflage needed ... just slow moving is enough to not spook him too much .
Meanwhile I am kneeling , staying or even sitting in the river /creek with my chest waders on .... LOL .
Still not so easy to get something different than " normal " stuff .... so I am still in normal mode .
Just got lucky with this liquid hair do .... at least in my opinion .
Light is very difficult at that location .... very dark in general due to the trees surrounding the spot . Might be different in winter , I will see .

Canon EOS R3
RF 2,8 400 IS L + 2x TC
HH

F 10 ; Iso 32.000 ; 1 /1000 sec

Processed with C1 and PSCC 2023 ; cropped to 80 % of FF , gardening in FG and BG

Not very happy with the cluttered BG , but that's where the Dipper lives ....

Thanks for looking and commenting to may last postings

Cheers Andreas

Ian McLachlan
09-23-2023, 06:24 AM
i like everything about this .Andreas. Firstly its different .The halo of 'ice' is fun, and the result at these specs is impressive .And apart from that I'm glad you didn't mess around with the background. Never seen this bird .Thanks for finding him /her.

Arthur Morris
09-23-2023, 07:00 AM
I love the frozen shawl but the jangly background ruins it for me. That begs the question, Why f/10 when working at f/5.6 would have soften up the background.

with love, a

Andreas Liedmann
09-23-2023, 01:22 PM
Thanks Ian and Arthur for your comments , much appreciated .

@ Arthur ... F10 for a simple reason , I forgot to dial it down ... as minutes before I was about 4 m away from the subject . Then the Dipper moved away and I followed him through a slippery river bed , so I was just concentrating to not fall into the river with my gear . Stopped to shoot him in this situation .... and actually even with F 5,6 the BG would be distracting . Just too close to the subject to be smooth .... albeit it would have been better as with F10 . In the end I have to live with the BG ... and I actually can live with it , but would have liked a better one .

Cheers Andreas

Gerald Kelberg
09-23-2023, 02:03 PM
Hey Andreas,

I've seen Dippers in the mountain streams, but never photographed them. I like this little guy and as you mentioned - the liquid hair do.

But, I'm not really in love with the background. Yes it is where the bird is, so I guess you will need to try and find a rock where he perches with a cleaner background.

The image quality is great considering the very high ISO.

Artie makes a good point that a wider aperture could have improved the background bouquet and allowed a lower ISO.

Good luck with this one,

Gerald

Andreas Liedmann
09-24-2023, 04:59 AM
Thanks Gerald for your comment !!

I´m not in love with BG either ... :bg3: ... but had to take what the bird and location gave me . And i am actually quite happy for the time being , until i get better options with this individual . As it might be a question of time , as this bird is very accessible ...
I do have cleaner shots ... but not with the liquid hairdo :bg3:.

Cheers Andreas

Jonathan Ashton
09-25-2023, 10:19 AM
Nice shot Andreas, I like the low angle and the water over the head.