PDA

View Full Version : American White Pelican

Joseph Przybyla
09-19-2023, 10:27 AM
I captured this image at Lake Morton in Lakeland, Florida. Soon these birds will be arriving from northerly places. A wonderful experience to sit on the ground near these birds, watching them, listening to their sounds, gaining their trust, and occasionally capturing a photograph. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 500mm PF, camera and lens supported by a Oben carbon fiber monopod with a Wimberly MonoGimbal head
1/2000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1 ISO 640 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 500mm (750mm 35mm Equivalent)
Post processed in Lightroom Classic
Cropped slightly from top and left hand side of the original

Steve Kaluski
09-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Hi Joe, nice DoF and being square on to the sensor really helped here. The open bill to me gives the impression of the Pelican laughing...

Overall nice colour & detail, however:

- I like to see some more tone back in the beak ie a bit darker, as overall I think a third of a stop just helps, but that's based on my input into Lr
- Temp +3 Tint -8 helps reduce some of the Magenta in the head - Global adjustments I assume
- Did you put a Lr mask to the BKG? I know about high and low frequency, but that blue fringing along the outline edging shouldn't really happen.
- Adding a Darks Midtone Luminosity mask with a Level adjustment just pulls in more I think, and defines more of that lovely plumage.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
09-20-2023, 01:23 PM
Hi Joe ... does work nicely as presented , at least for me .
I do like the open beak and the sweet soft warm light .

Nice job all around

TFS Andreas