PDA

View Full Version : Rufous Hummingbird

Kurt Bowman
09-16-2023, 07:13 AM
Here is another image from my latest outing to Madeira Canyon. I made this image by clipping a flower to the feeder. I personally like the pollen all over the hummingbirds body in this frame.
Also, not sure why I can't seem to get hardly any comments lately?

Andreas Liedmann
09-16-2023, 01:50 PM
Hi Kurt ... what a color firework with the three elements .
Color , tones looking very good overall ... subject is presented nicely with the full wing stretch , very cool !!! Good details and sharpness .

Just think the dark patches in the BG are too strong , for my personal taste , would try to make them lighter to nearly match with the greens .

Very cool opportunities with the hummers you have.

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
09-17-2023, 04:22 AM
Hi Kurt, can you badd the techs please, thanks.

Overall I prefer the previous posting, primarily because of the BKG, but the flowers here are better, ditto the colour, it looked flat, so a combo I guess. The flatness might be down to the screen, checking the Luminance values for you monitor and adjusting them to suite the light in the room could help, providing all the other elements are correct for Photography.

Certainly you have detail and its sharp, the light on the flowers could be softer, therefore I would suggest shooting with a flash and use 'fill-in' just a tad, so low power and around a -1/3 or -2/3 EV flash. Most set-ups like this use it and I think Artie's friend Alan uses it a lot with hummingbirds.

Flash needs to be ‘off’ camera, to the side NOT on the shoe.
TFS
Steve

William Dickson
09-18-2023, 06:07 AM
Love the detail and pose on the bird. I would tone the flowers down a wee bit. The blacks on the BG do draw my attention a bit, but the greens do look good.

Will

Arthur Morris
09-18-2023, 01:49 PM
I like everything about this one but for the really dark parts of the background; I find them very distracting.

with love, a