PDA

View Full Version : Bay-breasted Warbler Skirmish.

Daniel Cadieux
09-03-2023, 01:15 PM
While photographing a nice wave of warblers migrating through last month, this brief confrontation between two Bay-breasted Warblers broke out. It last a few seconds, but luckily I was already pointing my lens on the one receiving the brunt of it. It was unexpected, and simply activated the shutter and hoped for the best. A couple of sharp frames were obtained, despite the very slow shutter speed for such fast small bird action! Here we see the aggressor giving the victim a push to the back - I got lucky to have both of theirs faces in the same plane of focus.

Canon R6 + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/800s., f/5.6, ISOI 3200, handheld, about 75% FF, a few minor cleanups in the foliage - contrast and saturation to taste.

Ian McLachlan
09-04-2023, 07:08 AM
Perfectly beautiful. I reckon he's just practicing.But then its the wrong time of the year for you. Down here our small birds are breeding flat out; some a number of times if the season hangs on. They will be followed by the ones that eat them .Love those soft colours throughout the whole image. Did you think about that broken leaf. For me that's the only

distraction.Havnt' seen these birds .Thank you.

William Dickson
09-04-2023, 11:59 AM
Very nice Dan. The greys and yellows go lovely together. Good detail and the blurred wings brings movement to the image.

Will

Kurt Bowman
09-06-2023, 08:24 AM
The blurred wings works here Dan. I like the motion and action you managed to capture in the image. Nice work!

Steve Kaluski
09-12-2023, 04:08 PM
I think you got away with it Dan, because the female head is sharp, so the male being having some motion blur just adds. The greens are quite 'vibrant', but I feel that light coloured branch needs to go, the one that runs through the right wing and down.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
09-14-2023, 03:35 AM
Super shot, I like the action, I think a slight reduction in the background contrast helps make the subject stand out a little more.

Daniel Cadieux
09-15-2023, 06:45 AM
Thanks gang! Yep, upon second look getting rid of that thin twig would be a good idea.

Steve Kaluski
09-15-2023, 06:47 AM
Dan, if you upgraded to PS’24, try Generate fill :eek3:, you then have three options!!