PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic Puffin (Newfoundland)

Dorian Anderson
08-01-2023, 12:28 PM
Just back from 17 days in Peru. Infinitely more birding than photo, especially in the deep, dark confines of the amazon where I spent most of my time chasing antbirds, antwrens, antshrikes, and the like.

Not sure if any of you use eBird, but it might be fun for you to see what a trip like this 'looks' like: https://ebird.org/tripreport/148298. 561 species in 17 days! Birded elevations from 14,000 feet to 800 feet.

Here's a leftover puffin from my Newfoundland Photo Tour in Early July. 16 days at home, then off to Kenya. No rest for the weary, particularly when I'm sporting a bacterial infection on my ankle!

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II on EOS R5
1/2000 at f/8 ISO 640
Processed in LR Classic

Randy Stout
08-01-2023, 01:48 PM
Dorian:

Really like the lighting on this shot.Dramatic and a bit moody. The pop of color from the lichens plays well with the puffins bill.

Speaking as a physician , please take your ankle infection very seriously. I had a trivial nick on my left ankle last year, and it rapidly developed into cellulitis. With proper oral antibiotics and care, it has done well, but whenever you progress to cellulitis, it always leaves you prone to future cases of cellulitis in that area. With your active adventures, you are at extra risk, so take good care of it now!!

Randy

Dorian Anderson
08-01-2023, 02:55 PM
Dorian:

Really like the lighting on this shot.Dramatic and a bit moody. The pop of color from the lichens plays well with the puffins bill.

Speaking as a physician , please take your ankle infection very seriously. I had a trivial nick on my left ankle last year, and it rapidly developed into cellulitis. With proper oral antibiotics and care, it has done well, but whenever you progress to cellulitis, it always leaves you prone to future cases of cellulitis in that area. With your active adventures, you are at extra risk, so take good care of it now!!

Randy

Yeah, I'm on topical and oral antibiotics now. My big fear was this could be leishmaniasis as I was in areas where it is present. Docs not worries at this point though. I just want to get this issue knocked out before I step into Tropical Africa and whatever that geography decides to throw at me!

Daniel Cadieux
08-02-2023, 03:47 PM
What a beautiful image Dorian! Great light an perfect contrast, not to mention the excellent head angle.

Yes, that is a rathe impressive ebird list!

Speaking of infections, see this one I got a few years back that got a little worse than wanted (if you feel like reading a blog post): https://www.dancadphotography.com/for-the-belly-crawlers-please-read-this-important-post/

Dorian Anderson
08-02-2023, 04:33 PM
What a beautiful image Dorian! Great light an perfect contrast, not to mention the excellent head angle.

Yes, that is a rathe impressive ebird list!

Speaking of infections, see this one I got a few years back that got a little worse than wanted (if you feel like reading a blog post): https://www.dancadphotography.com/for-the-belly-crawlers-please-read-this-important-post/

HA - my wife is ALWAYS harping on me to take care of myself. "Be careful"... etc etc etc. I guess it's good for us!

kevin Hice
08-03-2023, 05:08 PM
Dorian the light says it all just pops off the screen along with the lichens as mentioned and the dark blue of the ocean. For sure gives a moody aspect to the scene. TFS