PDA

View Full Version : Black on patrol.

Marc Mol
07-24-2023, 07:20 PM
6.42am and the beautiful Giza is on her early morning patrol.

Laikipia, Kenya.

Bean bag front pax seat, slight crop for comp, curves, levels in PS23 & ACR, ZERO AI USED (it's sad that we now must include this :2eyes2:)

Nikon Z9
Nikkor Z 70-200 f/2.8
1/640s
f/3.2
ISO1100@ 200mm.

Cheers
Marc

Jonathan Ashton
08-01-2023, 12:54 AM
Unusual image, it has real novelty value.
(not too sure about the AI reference??)

Marc Mol
08-03-2023, 03:52 AM
Thanks Jonathan

Unusual image, it has real novelty value.
(not too sure about the AI reference??)

It's the proliferation of AI sadly in editing, particularly on a lot of social media platforms such as FB & IG, not something I'm seeing here, but thought it appropriate to mention. Am I happy about it...........certainly not!! Nothing sinister Jon. :w3
Not sure what you mean by "novelty value" ?? When this would have been the first time an African Black Leopard has been posted on BPN and certainly worth a submission IMO.

Gabriela Plesea
08-05-2023, 11:00 AM
Hello Marc,

Super special sighting of this Black Leopard, must admit I cannot remember seeing one here on BPN Wildlife!

Love the direct stare, curled up tail and raised front limb. And especially those two pink paw pads. Giza is in great shape, I dare say she must be quite young.

Frame a little tight at the bottom, would have been great if you were able to allow a bit more. Nice POV and good choice of DoF. Blacks clipped in the blue channel in places.

Background looks good and I like the presence of the vegetation... it would be really good to see another image of this cat, maybe smaller in the frame and with more environment :S3:

Thank you so much for sharing, I gather you had an amazing trip with sightings galore!

PS. Regarding AI, I believe it helps us create better, more compelling images. There's so much software out there that utilise this technology. Don't think you need to mention it, but no problem if you do:w3

Kind regards,

Marc Mol
08-06-2023, 09:03 PM
Many thanks Gabriela

must admit I cannot remember seeing one here on BPN Wildlife!

Apart from the night time image of Giza I posted just 2 weeks earlier not far below this posting, which I think you must have missed.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/157488-The-Princess-of-darkness

... it would be really good to see another image of this cat, maybe smaller in the frame and with more environment

More to come.....stay tuned. :w3

Blacks clipped in the blue channel in places.

This is true, but it's not a problem when the clipping is so small & insignificant and not really affecting the image in any way.

Regarding AI, I believe it helps us create better, more compelling images. There's so much software out there that utilise this technology. Don't think you need to mention it

Just to clarify my point on AI, I'm referring to the complete substitution of a subject or BG that totally changes the image,ie. Generative Fill. I have no problem with software such as DXO-PR 3/Topaz AI, etc and small changes, having no bearing on the overall image.
On another wildlife forum, I was accused of "recreating/substituting" something totally different for this black cat :2eyes2: and hence, sadly and reluctantly to mention it here.

Gabriela Plesea
08-07-2023, 11:26 AM
Thank you Marc, for detailed response, much appreciated. I have missed - and keep missing - images as I am not always able to connect to the Internet due to load shedding. At the moment living in a private reserve, not my own property therefore not planning on investing in going "off grid". It's just so awesome to live among the big five, so not complaining:)
Regarding AI, if one decides to change the sky or make more drastic 'alterations' I think as long as one mentions it in the intro there's no problem. After all, technology is there for us to use and experiment. It is rather different when it comes to competitions where one must adhere to certain rules.

Hope you enjoy the evening and have a wonderful rest of the week,

Kind regards,

Arthur Morris
08-27-2023, 03:00 PM
Both the animal and the image are stunning. Those eyes! As far as "insignificant" this or that, once you delete one distracting pixel or expand the canvas only five pixels, you are walking on the slippery slope. I have been walking there for years; I always state exactly what I have done to an image.

with love and respect, a