PDA

View Full Version : Great spotted woodpecker (Dendrocopus major) (juv)

Jonathan Ashton
07-22-2023, 12:50 PM
Image captured from my hide/blind in the back garden, cropped to 3:2 (for Andreas!) I adjusted the greens to give a little more fizz and I cleaned up the log from bits of debris. As mentioned in previous posts of this species the red colouration is perhaps less saturated than might be expected, this due to the fact that this is a juvenile - also note the plumage is in good condition, in the adults it is beginning to look a little worse for wear. I kept photographing until I got a shot with the tongue protruding, just a thing I have - if I can see some aspect of behaviour I am more contented. I also find it interesting to see how the tail is used for support when clinging to vertical perches.

Olympus System OM-1, 140-400TC
Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 613.0mm
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
ISO : 1250
Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
Shutter : 1/1250 sec

ACR/PSCC

Steve Kaluski
07-23-2023, 03:29 AM
Hi Jon, yep juvenile based on the red colouration.

Overall I like it and yes having the faint tongue visible was worth the wait and I do like the log (old apple tree?), it has character and obviously slightly angled is the definitive look. Having that hint of BKG in the bottom LHC adds IMHO. If you have content, perhaps zooming slightly so there is more space all round.

The colour for me is off, carrying too much blue masking the whites, upping your WB & Tint dropping the blue cleans things up. The green then just need a tweak to add the 'fizz' you mentioned. Although you missed it, why f/4.5 (in old money f7.1????) do you think 5.6 for you might have been better? Something doesn't sit right with the feet, its that back strip to the right?????

I also find it interesting to see how the tail is used for support when clinging to vertical perches.

Yes, I think it looks like a rear wheel of an aircraft adding stability as it sits back on them? :bg3:

Hope to see more, any more of the Green WP?

TFS
Steve

Arthur Morris
07-23-2023, 03:53 AM
Very nicely done. And yes, the tongue is a great addition. Do you handhold this rig?

As the light green in the LLC pulls the viewer's eye from the subject, an alternative pano crop might be a winning move.

with love, a

Jonathan Ashton
07-23-2023, 03:57 AM
Thanks Steve, I knew the colours weren't bad but not quite ideal, I have tried your suggestions and colours look better. (my guess was it was looking a bit yellow)
I have heard the Green woodpecker on a regular basis and close by but he has not been there when I have. The grass has recovered somewhat so the ants are less apparent so I guess this is why. (The lawnmowers are still at the service centre so no doubt the grass will take a further beating when I get them back - in which case he will hopefully return).

Steve Kaluski
07-23-2023, 04:20 AM
Thanks Steve, I knew the colours weren't bad but not quite ideal, I have tried your suggestions and colours look better.

Just pull yours and mine into PS and Go > Window > Arrange you can then compare easily side by side at 100%. Whites were a bit mucky so also balanced those out to in the RGB channels to 211 and it just lifted them out.

(The lawnmowers are still at the service centre so no doubt the grass will take a further beating when I get them back - in which case he will hopefully return).

Get a scythe, good workout and environmentally friendly

Jonathan Ashton
07-23-2023, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the comments Artie, much appreciated. Yes probably 95% plus of my images are hand held, including focus stacking. I only use a tripod when absolutely necessary or when I am spending a length of time in one location at the same angle then I might purely for convenience.

Daniel Cadieux
07-25-2023, 06:21 PM
He he, that little tongue does add a touch of fun interest. Good head angle, it is very subtly turned towards us. I do prefer artie's repost as far as composition goes, but in both I would have personally preferred more room around the subject. Nice details on the woodpecker!

William Dickson
07-26-2023, 02:17 PM
Very nice Jon. You captured it perfectly with the tongue and the concentration on the face ...adds interest. I like the detail on the bird with nice HA. I'm starting to get them squabbling at the set up now.. Makes for some great images.

Will