PDA

View Full Version : GSW (J)

Steve Kaluski
07-20-2023, 04:18 AM
Just following in Jon's footsteps with the Great Spotted Woodpecker, juvenile.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major)
Camera: Canon EOS R3
Lens: RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM HH
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/8 ISO8000 EV -0.67
Original format: Portrait, almost FF
Processed via: LRCC 12.4 & PS'23 24.6.0

Attracted with Fatcake

Andreas Liedmann
07-20-2023, 12:00 PM
HI Steve ... overall a very fine image of the WP hanging on a interesting and pleasing perch .
Nicely isolated from the BG ...
All works well for me in general ... just think the beak needs to get more tone on the upper part , looks quite bright to me . Personal taste . Processing looks good .
The juvenile plumage does look quite muddy ....

Cool stuff and TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
07-20-2023, 12:05 PM
Thanks Andrea’s.

Two brand new Eizo’s Andreas, calibrated for the ambient lighting and then set to the required Calibration with validated numbers based on ISO 12646 Industry standard, so very happy with the balance, perhaps your one might be out slightly? :S3:

Andreas Liedmann
07-20-2023, 12:21 PM
Thanks Steve ... nice reply :bg3:
I do not calibrate my crappy stuff ... not worth it :bg3:. Just gambling with color and tone .

Gabriela Plesea
07-20-2023, 02:45 PM
I would be super pleased to have this in my folders, lovely image of this young Woodpecker, well exposed, wonderful detail, perch is awesome. BG is superb. Good choice of techs.
Love everything about it, thank you for sharing, Steve:cheers:

Warmest regards,

Steve Kaluski
07-20-2023, 02:50 PM
Good choice of techs.

Thanks Gabriela, but techs can be improved hugely from my perspective,, just not thinking clearly and making basic mistakes. :w3

Gabriela Plesea
07-21-2023, 02:15 PM
Thanks Gabriela, but techs can be improved hugely from my perspective,, just not thinking clearly and making basic mistakes. :w3

Like I said I would love this in my folders as is, and cannot think of better techs... It is well exposed and sharp too, what more could I wish for...the rest is all in PP:S3:

Brian Sump
07-21-2023, 06:04 PM
Steve, all works well here from my view.

I like the choice of crop, leaving the lichen at right and subject upper in frame and totally in plane.

A great look at that talon, fully stretched. Another thing I love is the story told with the hole...

Seems like the crowns can be a little more red here, but perhaps that orange is true to this species overseas.

Steve Kaluski
07-22-2023, 02:33 AM
Cheers Brian, glad you like it.

Seems like the crowns can be a little more red here, but perhaps that orange is true to this species overseas.

As I mentioned, this is a Juvenile, so colours won't be as prominent compared to the adults, the crown is orange/red and the red is just appearing under the tail too. Also note the creamy tan of the body feathers, as adults it is white.

An adult male will have a red patch at the back of the head, while the female head is black and white. :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
07-22-2023, 06:37 AM
Very nice indeed, in particular the colours, the perch is very attractive and the background suitably muted. The most appealing aspect for me is the light - it isn't flat, this helps show relief. I was about to post a juvenile in a similar pose myself until I saw this .....then I decided it looked flat!!

Steve Kaluski
07-22-2023, 06:39 AM
I was about to post a juvenile in a similar pose myself until I saw this .....then I decided it looked flat!!

Cheers Jon, perhaps just tweak yours if need be, then go ahead and post a GSW, they are great birds and nice to see variety's

Joseph Przybyla
07-22-2023, 09:53 AM
Hi Steve kind of late to this party, been busy getting rid of the Lexus and getting a Mini Cooper Countryman. Anyways, as always I cannot find anything I would change in the image. Beautiful bird, nicely shown. Thank you for sharing.

Brian Sump
07-24-2023, 07:05 PM
Good to know, thanks Steve.

Cheers Brian, glad you like it.

As I mentioned, this is a Juvenile, so colours won't be as prominent compared to the adults, the crown is orange/red and the red is just appearing under the tail too. Also note the creamy tan of the body feathers, as adults it is white.

An adult male will have a red patch at the back of the head, while the female head is black and white. :S3:

William Dickson
07-26-2023, 02:20 PM
Well captured Steve. Exposure looks spot on and I like the 'richness' of the colours. BG fits well. Lovely detail on the bird, good pose and HA. Brilliant perch.

Will