View Full Version : Kingfisher Take Off

William Dickson
07-19-2023, 01:54 PM
Canon R6
f/4 400mm DO Mk2
f/5.6
1/3200
ISO 2000

Another from my time with the KF. I am aware of the perch touching the birds head, but with it being slightly OOF against the head, I thought it would be worth keeping, as these kind of shots don't come easily. As I said in my previous diving KF images. The set up, which apparently the KF likes, is about 4 feet from perch to water. Not giving much time to get the shot, as nearly always you get no indication of a take off. Gimbal Head. ACR and PS.

Will

Steve Kaluski
07-19-2023, 02:18 PM
Hi Will I like it, but then I'm going through my KF phase. Killer BKG with good detail, just looks a bit pale/thin on the body colours to me, you can see water droplets on the rear. I think this is a late male juvenile, probably this year judging on the makings.

The set up, which apparently the KF likes, is about 4 feet from perch to water. Not giving much time to get the shot, as nearly always you get no indication of a take off.

They tend to rock and have a poo just before... :bg3:

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
07-19-2023, 03:54 PM
Super shot Will, I lke it very much, personally I would go for a little bit of pop - hope you don't mind but here's a suggestion for you to consider:

Andreas Liedmann
07-20-2023, 11:54 AM
Hi Will glad you managed to shoot the KF , I do love these guys .
A very good posing with the head pointing downwards , did he dive or was it a fake start ??
Comp , tone , details and sharpness looking good ... personally I would go with more color depth , does look a bit flat on the color front . For sure personal taste .

Always a pleasure to see KF images .

Nice one and TFS Andreas

Brian Sump
07-21-2023, 06:09 PM
Hey Will, a very interesting look as he dips off....

I would really love to shoot these sometime...

A great canvas, lots of nice appeal behind and interest on the perch.

It did feel a little thin and Jon did a nice job giving it a boost. Ideally the branch wouldn't intersect the head, but he's on the move so...

Joseph Przybyla
07-22-2023, 09:57 AM
Hi Wil, nice capture. The kingfisher really looks locked on to the prey. Beautiful background, nice perch, good feather detail. I think Jon's edit is an improvement in the color of the bird. Thank you for sharing.

William Dickson
07-26-2023, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated as always. Good looking RP Jon. Looks better.

Will