PDA

View Full Version : Bug

Michael Lloyd
07-13-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure what this is. It's pretty small. I think it's some kind of Assassin Bug but I'm not sure...

Unfortunately I had my angle finder cranked up to 2.5x to aid in focusing the MP65E and I overlooked composition and cut some of the rear of the bug off.

Thanks to Roman I was able to get a good bit of DOF on all of my shots.

Mike Moats
07-14-2008, 06:00 AM
Hey Michael, very cool pose. gloomy but interesting BG. I wish his back end had a little more room and wasn't touching the edge of the frame. Very nice image.

Julie Kenward
07-14-2008, 01:05 PM
He is an interesting looking bug, isn't he? I have NO idea what he is...but hope he's not out in my flower garden! Can I ask what your specs were for this image? I'm wondering, too about what made up that gray BG (background)?

Michael Lloyd
07-14-2008, 06:15 PM
It's not an Assassin Bug... it's a High-backed Coreid a.k.a. Leaffooted Bug a.k.a. Hypselonotus punctiventris...

(Borrowed from the dedicated folks at BugGuide.Net)

"there are apparently just two species in North America."

Classification
Kingdom Animalia (Animals)
Phylum Arthropoda (Arthropods)
Class Insecta (Insects)
Order Hemiptera (True Bugs, Cicadas, Hoppers, Aphids and Allies)
Suborder Heteroptera (True Bugs)
Family Coreidae (Leaffooted Bugs)
Genus Hypselonotus
Species punctiventris (Hypselonotus punctiventris)

The background is (I think) more of the same flowers that the bug was hunting in. They are small white "lilies" (I know as much about flowers as I do about bugs so take that with a grain of salt). The camera was about a foot off of the ground (small tripod from RRS) and angled up slightly. The sun is behind me. The flowers are about the size of my thumb. The bug is perched on a stem. The stem is 1/8" to 3/16" in diameter.