PhotographicSensitivity : 400
Exposure compensation : -0.3 EV
Shutter : 1/2500 sec
F number : F4.5
Flash : OFF

ACR/PSCC

Andreas Liedmann
07-06-2023, 05:24 AM
Hi Jon ... the light has not helped here with this problematic subject in terms of exposure .
I just kind of like the pose and the perch , you did well with the tones in the subject and the sharpness is top notch . Would try to reduce the green / cyan in the shadows .
Perch is kind of too strong in terms of contrast / sharpness ... taking away some attention from the subject .... just too contrasty for me .

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
07-06-2023, 11:55 AM
Sorry Jon, light hasn't been on your side here for me, with the LHS of the bird in deep shadow. Like the perch, but if you are using a script then it will sharpen across the board, I would not apply sharpening really to the perch, a bit like sharpening fast flowing water with HL's, just leave it as is. Colour looks right to me.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
07-06-2023, 03:32 PM
Andreas, Steve, I posted this image because of the issues you pointed out, I didn't want an easy post, I just wanted to get feedback on what I did. Sharpening was applied to the bird only on the final jpeg. Initial sharpening at raw stage was minimal 25. ).5,35.

kevin Hice
07-07-2023, 01:24 PM
First thing I notice is the log very overbearing with the texture and light. One of the first details I looked at Jon was the whites on the head. You handled the details good considering the harsh light. Too bad the bird was shaded on the one side. TFS

Jonathan Ashton
07-07-2023, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I submitted the image to gauge feedback on the highlights and shadows, I don't thin it is an attractive image in any way - just an exercise that's all.

Dorian Anderson
07-08-2023, 09:29 PM
I echo the others regarding the light. It was an uphill battle from the start, and my processing skills don't lend to such challenging conditions. Sorry.

Arthur Morris
07-09-2023, 08:04 PM
Jon,

It is the angle of the light that kills this one for me. And as Kevin mentioned, the perch would not win any prizes either. You processed it nicely but the situation was impossible to begin with.

with love, a

Jonathan Ashton
07-10-2023, 09:54 AM
Jon,

It is the angle of the light that kills this one for me. And as Kevin mentioned, the perch would not win any prizes either. You processed it nicely but the situation was impossible to begin with.

with love, a

Thanks Artie, it was purely the processing I wanted feedback upon, glad you thought it was OK.