PDA

View Full Version : Learning to flap in a green world

Randy Stout
07-03-2023, 07:36 PM
This nearly four week old loon chick was on his own for a bit while his parents were out visiting another lake for social hour. So, he fished for awhile, did some grooming and followed it up with a few stretches and flaps.

Z9 800 PF, f/6.3, 1/2000s ISO 360

Post: LRCC, PS 2023. Modest crop for framing, Removed a few spots from the head.

Thoughts and critiques always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Andreas Liedmann
07-04-2023, 06:35 AM
Hi Randy ... very cute the trials of wing flapping .
Love the low POV and the framing . Super BG and FG from the color perspective .
I do see some issues which are surprising me , having the techs in mind . Image is quite soft in the subject and the FG and BG is quite noisy or grainy for ISO 360 :w3 ??!!!
Tones looking ok ... color matter of taste , but there is quite a bit of blue in the mid tones and lights of the subject .

Maybe you shed some light because of sharpness and noise ...

TFS Andreas

Joseph Przybyla
07-04-2023, 08:01 AM
Hi Randy, sweet image, wonderful to see a new generation. I like the wing flap, background is really nice. I think the softness Andreas mentions is from the downy feathers on the chick, very soft, not hard edges to take the sharpening. Thank you for sharing.

Randy Stout
07-04-2023, 08:21 AM
Joe is right about the down. It does not sharpen easily without going very crunchy, so I leave it. The chick had been diving just before this frame, so the plumage is quite wet as well, so less contrast there.

I did no noise reduction, not bothered by the noise on 5k monitor at any reasonable viewing magnification, but will take another look.

I do appreciate your input! I will def. revisit it.

Randy

PS: took a minute to tweak it a bit. Perhaps over sharpened now. Background does look smoother to my eye.