PDA

View Full Version : Little Owl III ( juv)

Andreas Liedmann
06-27-2023, 10:43 AM
Hi folks ... I have almost moved to the Owl location , at least my girl is saying it :bg3::t3
Many hours sitting in the portable camouflage stool .... Owls are very relaxed with it , I can leave the large front window open without disturbing them .... can easily move the lens around without any affect to their behavior . I do find that quite interesting . But when you move to the property to enter the stool they fly away ....
This is the eldest of the three Owlets , almost looking like the adults . Had no chance to photograph the other two ... as they still hang around the large cherry tree , where the artificial nesting tube is installed . The two smaller ones still stay in the tube and only coming out for a short period of time , not really good to photograph because of tree structure .

So I rather take the very active elder one who lives in his own shag :bg3:

Canon EOS R3
EF 500 IS L II + 2x TC
Monopod with Gimbal

F 9 ; Iso 10.000 ; 1/2000 sec

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2023 ; cropped from bottom and top for the comp

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous postings

Cheers Andreas

kevin Hice
06-27-2023, 05:48 PM
Glad to see the owls are making you a happy camper Andreas. You leave me with no complaints as your processing is perfect. I like the background it almost has a painting look to it. I wish the perch was better nothing you can do maybe replace the perch. I find raptors like to revisit the same perches. A switch may work. TFS

Dorian Anderson
06-27-2023, 06:34 PM
Wooden board is a nonstarter for me, but the details do look great with the 2x. I think the large pixels help on that front. I like that we can see both nostrils.

Brian Sump
06-27-2023, 11:51 PM
Andreas, are these guys really this pale in your neck of the woods?

This guy seems very bright in the mid plumages. Also, the eyes and beak and chest plumage have a very green tone - here they are much more yellow.

It's kind of ethereal with the faint background, which is nice but wish the subject would pop a little bit more.

And yeah, the 2x4 is a little raw and urban here but nice to have some moss.

Arthur Morris
06-28-2023, 09:09 AM
Andreas, Please tell us about the board. Might it be replaced by a nice weathered log?

Yes, the whole thing looks very light. And from where I sit, it would use a decent crop from above and left.

with love, artie

Jonathan Ashton
06-29-2023, 01:56 AM
Looks spot on to me, the overall image presentation appears rather light but looking at the feet makes me think the exposure for the owl was spot on.

Daniel Cadieux
06-29-2023, 05:51 AM
Looks nice and fluffy - almost fur-like on the belly with those downy feathers!:S3: I like the vertical comp, details, and even the bright exposure. Yes, the board is unfortunate, but I suppose it does give it an urban feel. If they return on it often it is a good suggestion to see if you can replace it with something else.

Andreas Liedmann
06-29-2023, 12:43 PM
Thanks so much folks for your various and mixed comments about this image .... much appreciated .

First I will not interfere with the Owls , more than I already do ... just to get a more pleasing perch . This species is on the Red List here locally . Having only 8 breeding pairs in the large city where I do live .... so I will keep my feet still and be happy what I can get .

Second , I kept the image quite light overall as the whole scene was lit by the sun filtered through a thin cloud cover .... so overall quite bright . And the Owlets are paler and lighter in the plumage compared to the adults .

Third ... Brian these Owls do look for sure different to yours over there ... I think I did well with the colors in the eye , beak and plumage . Some might say no ..... I could go with more yellow in beak and eye . :bg3: . I do not see ( eyedropper ) any green tendency in the plumage ... albeit I checked not every inch of the plumage .

Fourth ... crop is good as is for me .

Cheers Andreas