PDA

View Full Version : Kingfisher (M)

Steve Kaluski
06-23-2023, 08:10 AM
Another frame of the male Kingfisher, more of a 'standard BOAS' capture. Just love the small water droplets on the breast.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Kingfisher (M) (Alcedo atthis)
Camera: Canon EOS R3
Lens: RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/8 ISO5000 EV -1.33
Original format: Landscape, slight crop
Processed via: LRCC 12.4 & PS'23 24.7.0

Gabriela Plesea
06-23-2023, 01:33 PM
This might just be the best of the series, Steve:cheers:

Pin sharp and perfect pose, great IQ, well exposed with superb colours, nice HA. Dramatic BG, love it. Love everything here, including perch:bg3:

How am I supposed to post my Thick Knee frames next to your King Fisher...Oh I think I need to up my game, big time:tinysmile_shy_t:

Truly enjoyed viewing this image...and I am slightly jealous:t3

Warmest regards,

Steve Kaluski
06-23-2023, 01:44 PM
Gabriela it’s not a competition, but to share and to exchange thoughts & processes and ‘even embrace’ feedback, as the more we expand, the more we can learn from one another.

I’ll be honest I have held back on this because when I posted it, it would appear posterised, however having asked a few to view the file I know it’s all good, but have tweaked my WF this morning for Web, if it works I will let you know.

I wanted to keep the patches of green in the dark background as I felt it needed something. As per the previous dark background KF, it all stemmed from retaining the white on the nape.

Now go on, post the Thick-knee, it’s great to see new species. :S3:

Gabriela Plesea
06-23-2023, 03:29 PM
Thank you Steve,

I do embrace all feedback and thrive on it, as you already know:w3 Been a little shy to post in Avian for some time but folks have been so generous and helpful with comments and suggestions and I truly appreciate it. Have recently started to pay more attention to avian species and when the opportunity arises I try and capture images and process them. So you will definitely see more from me.

Back to your Kingfisher image, I really think it is stunning. Whatever you did to minimise the posterisation really works. I do like the patches of green as they give authenticity to the image, the BG gains a bit of depth and looks more natural:S3:

Brian Sump
06-23-2023, 04:52 PM
Steve, you certainly have your KF images nailed down. You have more than many of us will in a lifetime :-)

Your approach to producing striking blues are evident. Plenty sharp. Are the tail feathers always that luminescent compared with the back and head?

Fun perch and anytime you get a dark, moody backdrop like this you're gonna have a nice pop.

I could see a version trading a touch below for a touch above. Nicely shown as-is as well.

kevin Hice
06-23-2023, 06:33 PM
Fantastic image Steve,I am a sucker for those dark backgrounds just make a photo pop along with the contrast of the lichens and a super processed kingfisher. Really pops off the page. TFS.

Andreas Liedmann
06-24-2023, 12:16 PM
Hi Steve ... a super side profile portrait of this wonderful species , the dark BG sets him off nicely and I do like that you kept green patches and some tonal variations ... instead of going all dark .
The white patch looks better and more detailed compared to the wider shot you posted .
Colors looking good as does the fine details and feather structures , well done . The orange does look quite intense for a " in shadow " shot ... personal taste , and it does vary from image to image .
Not a fan of the large perch though .... is taking too much attention IMHO.

Nonetheless very nice work

TFS Andreas

Dorian Anderson
06-25-2023, 12:32 PM
This is a great image of this stunning species. Love the bright colors on the blackground. Mossy perch is awesome, and I like that we can see at least some of the foot through it. Nothing I'd change.

Arthur Morris
06-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Quite stunning as noted above. But yes, I wish that the head were turned a bit towards us.

with love, artie

Jonathan Ashton
06-29-2023, 01:25 AM
Late to the party - my PC had to be repaired and upgraded. Super shot, love the colours, the image is clean as a whistle. I see no faults technically, though from an aesthetic point of view the Kingfisher is rather static i.e. not a very interesting pose.