PDA

View Full Version : American Pelican on a rock.

kevin Hice
06-21-2023, 06:57 PM
Same Bird from yesterday. Shot in Nd slough from my floating blind. This bird was very cooperative let me take all the time I needed to approach . As I said the bird was originally napping. I have tried approaching from my kayak and floating blind before. If they are in the water they will just not let you get close.
Just keep swimming away. Even from a vehicle they will leave the shore or swim away if in the water. This shot was taken about fifteen minutes earlier than the previous submission. So I took Steve Kaluski comments and lowered the whites some. I do think this shows more detail.
The rock was in terrible shape lots of poo removed also removed some highlights in the water. Processed with Dpp 4 and Photoshop. Appreciate all the comments from yesterdays post.
Canon R5
Rf 600 f/4 L
600 mm
1/2000
ISO 400

Jonathan Ashton
06-22-2023, 02:01 AM
Looks very good to me, details in lights and importantly in the darks too. Colors on the pelican look good as does the background. There appears to be some blue colouration (reflection from the sky I presume) around the water level of the rock, you may wish to minimise this.

Steve Kaluski
06-22-2023, 02:37 AM
Hi Kevin, looks much better don't you think?

Just because you shot way to the right, doesn't mean it stays there in PP, all you have done is captured more data by shooting ETTR, which is the way to go, pulling the exp back isn't a problem, it only matters when an image is under exposed. Look at the lovely detail from the R5. Love that 3/4 turn and framing works. I might suggest a quick revisit to the WB for the subject/rock only, a fraction warmer in the WB ie +4, but it's the hefty magenta cast that throws the scene, you need to pull back the Tint far more too, ie -9.

If you make getting the correct WB correct at import the rest is easy Kevin, if you don;t and tweak colours, it will only compound the look, obviously if in Lr or ACR WB is the second element.

TFS
Steve

kevin Hice
06-22-2023, 07:18 AM
I went back in Photoshop and made adj on the magenta cast. Thanks Steve for the help and suggestions and everyone else that commented. I really appreciate it. I knew I had a color cast and my adjustment's weren't correcting it fully. I think it looks better.

Gabriela Plesea
06-22-2023, 01:39 PM
How lovely!

I like the pose and detail is very nice, well exposed too.
RP does look better, and what a great opportunity Kevin, well seen and taken:cheers:

Kind regards,

Steve Kaluski
06-22-2023, 02:04 PM
Well done Kevin in going back to tweak the image, numbers are perhaps to our own palette, but overall it does look much better and amplifies the hard work you put in to achieve the image. :cheers:

Daniel Cadieux
06-23-2023, 06:54 AM
What a beautiful image his is!! So appealing. Love that low angle, perch, BG, head angle. Pretty much everything came together for you here. The repost is better, yes, but there is one thing that has not been mentioned yet and that is some CCW rotation is needed, not much (perhaps no more than .5 degrees), but enough to straighten the water level. Such a beauty man, congrats!

Andreas Liedmann
06-23-2023, 10:31 AM
Hi Kevin ... a super wider shot of the Pelican , showing him in his environment .
The RP is really a good improvement .... just asking myself if the orange feet/legs are looking close to " reality " ??!!! Or just interpretation of your view ??!!

Regardless of that I think it is nice image , you did well just to capture this .

TFS Andreas