PDA

View Full Version : Scarlet Skimmer

Don Lacy
07-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Do to work and a new house I have only been out in the field twice this summer so I was happy to get a decent image of one of my favorite DF last week, a male Scarlet Skimmer. These are a Old World DF that were first discover in the New World in Miami in the 70's they are only found in South Florida, Cuba , and Hawaii on our side of the pond. I am a little disappointed that I blew the red channel on the first tail segment when converting for the web even so this is about as bright and as red as they are in the field.

40D, 300 f/4, 1/20 @ f/16, manual mode, evaluative metered, fill flash in manual with diffuser, raw, iso 400, tripod, cloned out a blade of grass and a stick in lower right corner

Michael Lloyd
07-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Very nice image. I don't know Dragonfly id's but I have a shot of one very similar to what you have here (not quality, type) but it was taken at Aransas National Wildlife Refuge on the Texas Gulf Coast.

Mike Moats
07-14-2008, 06:02 AM
Hey Don, very well done, good details though out and nice BG. The red pops real nice against the BG.

Julie Kenward
07-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Great job, Don. Love the play between the red DF and the green BG. Your DOF is spot on and you chose a great composition to feature him!

Gus Cobos
07-14-2008, 08:34 PM
A very fine composition indeed. I love the sharp details on the wings and the rich hues on the body...:cool: