PDA

View Full Version : Tawny owl (Strix aluco)

Jonathan Ashton
05-31-2023, 03:27 AM
An ongoing project trying to get these chicks in decent light and composition. I have tried versions with and without flash. The light is very contrasting up at the top of the trees, I have been going early morning and at later evening, one day I hope to get with diffuse natural light.
I realise far from ideal but I was really pleased to get a shot of the chicks. The chicks are 8-10m or more high in the trees, getting a clear view and finding them is not easy!

OM-1 OLYMPUS M.150-400mm F4.5
Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 756.0mm
ISO : 1600
Exposure compensation : -0.3 EV
Off camera, Flash fill in -0.3
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
Shutter : 1/60 sec
F.No. : F4.5

ACR/PSCC

kevin Hice
05-31-2023, 04:38 AM
I can imagine how hard it is to get a good shot Jonathan. Before I read your comment what I noticed was the strong light at the chick on the right that definitely catches ones attention . Other than that it is well done. Hope you get that diffused light shot. TFS

William Dickson
06-01-2023, 11:18 AM
Looks like good light will be very difficult here Jon...I really like what you captured, and I am sure you will get it one day...I am seeing a blueish cast. I like the detail you managed to capture and the poses are priceless. Step Ladder maybe...

Will

Steve Kaluski
06-01-2023, 12:33 PM
I realise far from ideal but I was really pleased to get a shot of the chicks. The chicks are 8-10m or more high in the trees, getting a clear view and finding them is not easy!

Exactly where they should be Jon. Sweet capture, although and I know why, but more of the brach below would be better IMHO. Resolve the colour casts, think you could open the exposure up and some Curves for the body plumage and bingo...

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
06-02-2023, 01:30 PM
Hi Jon .. lovely to see these two hanging together for a shoot :bg3:.
Think you did very well with the given shooting angle .
The tree gave you a nice frame on LHS and the foliage is nice as well . Very difficult to get the sky decently exposed .
You can try , exposure bracketing .... and double process them in ACR . AS I think the owls do not move that much .

Cool image and TFS Andreas

Jonathan Ashton
06-03-2023, 03:30 PM
Thanks everyone glad you liked, I do have some more. Getting the colours right is something I find tricky, nothing wrong with my acuity just my ability to decide which way to adjust colours. When Steve or Andreas point it out it seems so obvious!!

Arthur Morris
06-03-2023, 05:44 PM
Decent enough for such tall birds. I really miss the second eye of the bird in the back.

with love, a

Gabriela Plesea
06-10-2023, 08:57 AM
Your hard work and persistence certainly paid off, Jon. Lovely, I think they're super cute, those little owls, bundled together high up in the tree. They look so vulnerable.

I like the composition and pose is superb, would up the exposure a bit and try bring a bit more definition on those feathers. I too noticed the colour cast, easy to remove if you wish.

Enjoyed viewing, a lot. Looked everywhere for a pearl spotted owl in Kruger but this time no luck, hopefully in September :S3:

Warmest regards,