PDA

View Full Version : European Fieldhamster

Andreas Liedmann
05-23-2023, 01:33 PM
Hi folks ...
another Rodent from my recent trip to Vienna ( Austria ) besides the ground squirrels .
Same cemetery as location was used like last year ... the numbers of visible and approachable hamsters went down compared to last year . But I was lucky and managed to get some nice stuff ... at least IMHO. I only spent a two mornings and two afternoons on the cemetery ...
The biggest struggle while shooting the hamsters is to find a sweet spot of your low POV to avoid too much of that grass or other green stuff ....

I do start off with a small in the frame approach , image was shot with somewhat diffuse backlight and the grass was wet from early morning dew and rain the night before . Sky was covered with very thin cloud cover so it was relatively bright .

Canon EOS R 3
RF 400 2,8 + 1,4 TC
HH

F 9 ; Iso 6400 ; 1/2500 sec

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2023 ; slight crop for a better comp

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous postings

Cheers Andreas

Jonathan Ashton
05-23-2023, 02:57 PM
Spot on the details in the hamster are all there, and I like the grass colour too! Composition looks ideal = couldn't ask for more.

Gabriela Plesea
05-25-2023, 02:04 PM
I like it too, Andreas. Nice detail on the subject, looks good even in the blacks. Very cute little fellow and lovely pose.

The dew on those blades of grass adds to the image. Framing is great. Do you have to get permission to spend time at this location or you just go in and stay as long as you like?

Enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing,

Kind regards

Steve Kaluski
05-25-2023, 02:38 PM
Cute/fun nicely framed. I would remove the green stem over the body and the one behind, looks much better, just distracting as presented IMHO.

TFS
Steve

Joseph Przybyla
05-25-2023, 05:32 PM
Hmmm... from Brown Bears to Field Hamsters, quite a range. My first look at the image made me smile, cute little critter. I like the image, thank you for sharing.

Andreas Liedmann
05-26-2023, 01:35 AM
Thanks folks for your kind comments , much appreciated .

@ Steve ... do not see any need for removing a single grass blade :S3: , the subject is clearly visible .

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
05-26-2023, 03:18 AM
Steve ... do not see any need for removing a single grass blade http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/images/smilies/smile3.gif , the subject is clearly visible .

I'm not saying the subject isn't visible, I just feel that it detracts and the removal give the subject more standout, it's just an option Andreas.

Andreas Liedmann
05-26-2023, 04:42 AM
I know what you want to say with your comment ... but I do disagree , as the subject stands out ENOUGH for my personal taste . Simple as that .... :bg3:
But thanks for your illustration

With the latest iteration of PS .... folks will go mad with removing things , I personally do find this could be ending in " over cleaned up " images . As it was never that easy before

Steve Kaluski
05-26-2023, 04:44 AM
Indeed, but this is going the conventional methods. We can agree to disagree on this one.

Andreas Liedmann
05-26-2023, 05:07 AM
Correct ... luckily there is a variety of different tastes allowed :bg3: and accepted :bg3:

Morkel Erasmus
05-28-2023, 03:46 PM
This is a very cute dude. Love the colours on his coat.
Low angle and the wet grass works well for me here, Andreas.
I prefer the contrast and tones in your OP vs the repost.

Andreas Liedmann
05-30-2023, 12:16 PM
Thanks Morkel , much appreciated

Cheers Andreas