PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Warbler

Bill Dix
05-19-2023, 04:09 PM
I've been AWOL for some time, with family and physical issues keeping me from getting into the field as much as I would like. But when I heard that there was an accessible Kentucky Warbler a half-hour from home, I couldn't resist. This has been a nemesis bird for me, having only seen them a few times and with only one previous ID shot. I could hear him singing as soon as I got out of the car, but after the better part of three hours watching him feed among the leaves of very tall trees, this was one of the few images of him on an open perch. I could nitpick: too steep, mantle and coverts noisy, mottled sun and shade, etc. But I'm pleased finally to add the species to my warbler portfolio.

a1. 200-600 W/ 1.4 TC, ISO 4000, f/9 @ 1/1250s.

Dorian Anderson
05-20-2023, 09:16 AM
Yeah, these can be really skulky, so you did well to get anything in the open, even if in heavy shade. I'm constantly amazed at what that lens/combo can do, but f/9 is really, really tough in forest.
You can't do anything about the disengaged head angle, but I'm curious if you could try to tease any detail from the blacks; they're very heavy as is.

Volkan Akgul
05-20-2023, 10:10 AM
hi,

stay healthy Bill.
I wish you well.when it comes to the photo, very yellow and green are very dominant :)It's a beautiful genre, it was fun to watch. thanks

Daniel Cadieux
05-23-2023, 03:01 PM
Congrats on spotting and photographing it! I agree with your critique Bill, but you had tough circumstances here. Glad to see you online - hope things will bounce back for you soon. Family and health are always priority!:S3:

Arthur Morris
05-27-2023, 06:45 PM
Great bird and an excellent self critique. I have seen maybe two in 47 years :-)

with love, a

Bill Dix
05-29-2023, 11:25 AM
Thank you all.