PDA

View Full Version : Bufflehead Spinnin' Its Wheels

Daniel Cadieux
05-02-2023, 07:13 AM
I had a lot fun fun with these small ducks recently. We get them every year for a couple of weeks as they pass through the area during spring migration. Like many other diving ducks, these guys have a running start along the water before getting airborne. I loved the "Looney Tunes" pose here, and can just hear the cartoon's sound effects as well:t3

Canon R6 + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/4000s., f/5.6, ISO 800. Tamed the "harsh" contrast via dodge and burn, cleaned up the eye, cropped for composition (about 70% FF)

Dorian Anderson
05-02-2023, 10:34 AM
Fun frame of this little speedster; they are one of the most difficult ducks to get in flight! Wings are in good position, and the dangling feet are super fun. Your attempts to even out the exposure on the lights and darks looks good.
Wide crop to get more of the splash behind was wise. A really nice result.

William Dickson
05-02-2023, 05:14 PM
Really liking this....and yes I can hear the looney tunes in my head.. :bg3: ....Very well processed Dan, it has a 3D effect....Great pose and POV....The feet and splash is super cool...Good detail and colours throughout.

Will

Arthur Morris
05-04-2023, 10:28 AM
Very sweet yet funny. I love it and am envious. I would like to see even more of the splash behind the bird. So, the next time, push yourself by trying for the "wake shot" original and put the bird on the right (our right) side of the frame.

Perhaps Topaz Sharpen AI on the eye and the front half of the face?

with love, artie

Randy Stout
05-06-2023, 05:22 AM
Daniel:

Well done. One of my absolute nemesis birds, around here they are very spooky. About the only time they will tolerate me is during the courtship season when they are a bit distracted!

POV, angle in frame, flying water, pose, all good! Nicely exposed too.

Cheers

Randy

arash_hazeghi
05-07-2023, 01:34 PM
love the dynamic frame low angle and the water drops. agree with sharpening the head more . one of my fav ducks

TFS

Brian Sump
05-08-2023, 10:44 PM
Fantastic grab here Daniel. The thing that stands out the most, even on top of the fun sprinter pose and gorgeous backdrop is the thin dof.

Having attempted ducks taking off while shooting at ground level I can really appreciate this one. They're hard enough when swimming and diving.

This is a memorable gem for me. Thank you for sharing!