View Full Version : Osprey

William Dickson
03-17-2023, 01:10 PM
Canon 1DX Mk2
f/4 400mm DO Mk2
f/4
1/4000
ISO 640

For this image I was in a hide which was sunk into the ground to get a better POV....The Ospreys were enticed by trout in a lochan(small loch).....It wasn't 'busy' with dives, but well worth the wait when a bird did dive....The splash in front of the bird was caused by the wing striking the water as he/she was attempting to lift the fish after a struggle....Those sharp talons sure got a grip this time.....HH.....ACR and PS.

Will

Andreas Liedmann
03-17-2023, 01:35 PM
Hi Will ... striking image , very well done .
Image does look balanced in terms of comp and tones .
Great to see the talons sticking into the fish .... superbly captured .
Personally I would go for a different color grading , matter of taste .
The BG is too flat in terms of color for a sunny day .... IMHO and the image has a overall yellow tone .

Really cool shot , love it

TFS Andreas

Dorian Anderson
03-18-2023, 09:47 AM
Wow! The low angle is amazing. The look at the two faces in incredible. Love everything about this. Sure the near wing would be thrown back a bit more, but that's pretty minor.

As to Andreas's comment about the background, I tend to agree. It seems like it should be both warmer and punchier. But those are easy fixes and would strengthen an already
show-stopping shot. Bravo.

Daniel Cadieux
03-18-2023, 03:45 PM
Oh boy, so cool! Yes, a bit more saturation - or sponge tool work on the reeds - would really make a difference but you have such a memorable image here. Thanks for explaining the front splash too. Very good!

Paul Burdett
03-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Will: One of those classic shots we all aim for, and you've got a winner here! The light does seem a little harsh , but that's my only nit here.

Kurt Bowman
03-19-2023, 05:06 AM
Really nice catch for both you and the Osprey! Love the low angle and the open mouth on the trout. I agree about the comments on the BG looking a bit flat. Should be an easy fix though. Great job!!!

Jonathan Ashton
03-20-2023, 05:12 AM
Great action and detail, colours look a little dull...(seems like you are experiencing some of the issues I have been dealing with!)

William Dickson
03-20-2023, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated and understood..

Will