PDA

View Full Version : New Growth...

Arthur Morris
07-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Most of the cactus in the Galapagos is dry and whithered so the only time that I photograph them is when I spot some new growth. This section of candelabra cactus was photographed at Punta Morena on Isabela Island with the Canon 400mm f/4 IS DO lens and the EOS 40D on the Mongoose M3.5. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +1 stop: 1/80 sec. at f/5.6. The background is OOF black lava.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Steve Maxson
07-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Very nicely done, Artie. Love the overcast lighting and agree that the older growth on these cacti is comparatively ugly.

Julie Kenward
07-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Beautiful lighting and wonderful detail, Artie.

Ed Vatza
07-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Artie, the image is excellent. Very sharp (in more ways than one ;)). Terrific lighting as was already pointed out. Excellent color and love the background. That said, the image doesn't excite me. Not sure why.

Arthur Morris
07-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Artie, the image is excellent. Very sharp (in more ways than one ;)). Terrific lighting as was already pointed out. Excellent color and love the background. That said, the image doesn't excite me. Not sure why.

Hey Ed, Good one on the "Very sharp." The image does not particularly excite me either; fairly boring subject, flat light. It was created as a stock image. I posted it here because I rarely do flora :)

Thanks for sharing your honest opinion.

ps: On 2nd thought, I do like the color combo, the sort of glowing light, and the sharpness...

Kaushik Balakumar
07-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Artie,
A technically perfect portrait of a cactus portion. But I feel there's nothing so outstanding with 'creativity' aspect. But since u mentioned about its usage for stock images, I guess it serves the purpose.
Alternatively since u mentioned about the lava in the BG, I was wondering if ur DOF could have in some way included the lava (i.e. habitat) too. The green would pop-up against dark-grey/black BG & lava would in someway add more interest to the frame.
As it is the image looks flat without depth - the ones similar to holding a grey sheet as BG.
It is just an idea - having been in field, you are the best person to judge/comment on its feasibility.

Arthur Morris
07-13-2008, 07:04 PM
With a long lens, with the new growth about four feet up, and with the BKGR far, far away up there was no way to capture any BKGR detail at all. And if there were, I would still prefer the soft oof BKGR; that is my style.

Kaushik Balakumar
07-14-2008, 02:05 AM
With a long lens, with the new growth about four feet up, and with the BKGR far, far away up there was no way to capture any BKGR detail at all. And if there were, I would still prefer the soft oof BKGR; that is my style.

Makes sense :)

Mike Moats
07-14-2008, 06:16 AM
Hey Artie, this subject really pops against the BG. Great details and color and lighting. Well done.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
07-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Well it has all been said, but I had to offer a my view also, a very simple yet effective image, beautifully contrasting colours and perfect light. I don't think it is a dull or a boring image I think it is quite eye catching
Jon

Bill McCrystyn
07-23-2008, 11:18 PM
OR - lets give it a little more impact - hmmm