PDA

View Full Version : Oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus)

Jonathan Ashton
02-24-2023, 04:24 PM
Another shot taken at high tide. I revisited a day later when the tide was even a tad higher but there was no activity at all.
OM-1 : OLYMPUS M.150-400mm F4.5 TC
Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 1000.0mm
ISO : 1000
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
Exposure compensation : +1.0 EV
Shutter : 1/2500 sec

ACR/PSCC

Paul Burdett
02-24-2023, 06:57 PM
I like this a lot Jonathan. Lovely flight pose and detail on the bird. The busy foreground doesn't worry me at all...others may think differently though. I tried adding some CW rotation to level up the wave in the FG, and think it looks better whilst maintaining the angular flight pose. WDYT? An interesting Oystercatcher...quite different from those here.

Kurt Bowman
02-25-2023, 12:28 PM
Very nicely done Jon! Bird looks great! Sharp, and exposed nicely. I wish the FG wasn't so busy, but you can't do much about it, it just detracts my eye a little. Still subject looks great! I wonder what Pauls CW rotation would look like?

Jonathan Ashton
02-25-2023, 04:24 PM
Paul, Kurt, I did wonder about the angle of the water, I was at an angle to the subject so quite honestly I was unsure over if I should "level" or not.

Dorian Anderson
02-26-2023, 09:37 PM
This is a nice result with excellent exposure and crisp details. Vegetations doesn't do much for me. I don't mind the wave below the bird, but the
one farther back, running in the face, isn't ideal.

Like I told Randy about his latest swan - I'm not for the neck against the body. No matter how good the techs are, I end up tossing this pose
every time. I had an otherwise killer Limpkin frame I let go last week for exactly that reason.

But still a solid result.

Andreas Liedmann
02-27-2023, 12:20 PM
Hi Jon ... looks good well done in capture and processing !!!
No nits or suggestions :t3:bg3:

TFS Andreas

Daniel Cadieux
02-28-2023, 04:31 PM
I love the wing and tail spreads here, and the dangling feet. Good whites and blacks. Ditto about about the vegetation being a distraction for me, and also for the idea of exploring some CW rotation.