PDA

View Full Version : Evening Perch

Mike Fuhr
07-13-2008, 02:40 PM
I took several shots of this dragonfly, trying different things with fill flash, etc., but this one is my favorite by far. I go back and forth on the background on the right. Not sure if I love it or hate it.

I took this while visiting Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.

Nikon D50
Sigma 100-300
300mm
F5.6
1/400

Ed Vatza
07-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Hi Mike,

I think I understand what you were striving for with this image. And I think you almost got there. Personally, I would like to see more detail in the dragonfly but the silhouette works. But those spots on the right are killer for me. They detract from the d-fly. I covered over them with my hand and what was left looked much better. The left side of the background looks super to me.

Mike Moats
07-14-2008, 06:18 AM
Hey Mike its a different look which I like to see. Abstract for sure, and the BG is great.Well done.

Arthur Morris
07-14-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm with Ed. I would try cropping off a bunch from the right...

Kaushik Balakumar
07-15-2008, 04:26 AM
Mike,
Lovely silhouette. The BG colours are soothing. The wings look so beautiful. I too would agree with Ed that the bright circular OOF regions on the right are distracting. By moving to the right of where u were shooting now might have avoided them but then the lovely angle (which u currently have) of the dragonfly would have to be compromised with.