PDA

View Full Version : No Can Fly...

Arthur Morris
07-13-2008, 02:31 PM
This Flightless Cormorant was photogrpahed on Fernandina Island, Galapagos. Nesting was a bit late this year and there were not photographable nests. We actually got to snorkel with this species and with Galapgos Penguins as well.

Canon 400mm f/4 IS DO lens and the ES 40D on the Mongoose M3.5. (Note the old man's lightweight set-up...:D) ISO 400. Exposure detemined via histogram check: 1/640 at f/5.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

George DeCamp
07-13-2008, 02:42 PM
This is different looking from our species around here eh? Nice and sharp, nice eye.

I have to ask, why did you cut the back off? I know you must have a reason Master! ;)

Arthur Morris
07-13-2008, 02:51 PM
This is different looking from our species around here eh? Nice and sharp, nice eye. I have to ask, why did you cut the back off? I know you must have a reason Master! ;)

Actually there are lots of reasons, #1 being that when the bird was parallel to my position (I was seated and with only a fixed focal length lens) this was the best available COMP.
If I had been able to fit the whole thing in the frame it would have been way too stuffed: bill tip to tail tip.

#2: Even if I had a zoom lens handy I would have chosen this over a "full frame" (75%) capture so as to better reveal detail in that wonderful aquamarine eye.

Lastly, note that I followed my cut don't clip rule. Thanks for asking.

George DeCamp
07-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks Artie, I'd rather ask and learn something useful than wonder and scratch my head.

Appreciate your response!!

Steve Maxson
07-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Love the color you captured in the eye. The eyes don't always turn out this nicely in this species. Very nice details and the water drops on the beak are a plus. Too bad the birds weren't nesting this time.

Fabs Forns
07-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Spectacular eye, even prettier than the ones here :)

Ramon M. Casares
07-13-2008, 07:44 PM
I love it, although I would've go with a bit closer crop and to eliminate some of the bottom. My very humbold opinion hehehe... But I LOVE it, it is a terrific species!! Congratulation!!! It sounds that you had a great time!

Axel Hildebrandt
07-14-2008, 06:54 AM
Beautiful bird, great light and calm water. I really like the eye and might sharpen the head and neck plumage a bit less. I'm glad you had a great time there.