PDA

View Full Version : Brent goose (Branta bernicula)

Jonathan Ashton
02-04-2023, 09:29 AM
I captured this goose at high tide whist foraging on a local beach in overcast dull lighting.

OM-1 & OLYMPUS M.150-400mm F4.5 TC
Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 1002.0mm
ISO : 6400
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
Exposure compensation : +1.0 EV
Shutter : 1/1600 sec
Aperture : F5.6

DxOPureRaw/ACR/PSCC

Joseph Przybyla
02-04-2023, 10:34 AM
Hi Jon, a goose I have never seen before. My first impression was that the image needed to be rotated clockwise but it also could be an illusion from a sloping beach. Nice detail on the bird, I like the vegetation in the bill, on my display maybe the blacks are a little heavy. Interesting image, thank you for sharing.

Andreas Liedmann
02-05-2023, 12:43 AM
Hi Jon .. nice to see a different species , and I do like the walking pose along the " beach" or river bank . The piece of food in the beak is a nice addition .
Color and sharpness does look quite good , so well processed on that front . Just feel the image needs to go " a lot brighter " ... at least for my taste .
The crop looks like " out of cam " .... looks unbalanced for me .

TFS Andreas

Jonathan Ashton
02-05-2023, 05:38 AM
Thanks Jo glad you liked it. I too considered the lateral rotation. The beach is on the river near to the mouth of the estuary - River Dee.
Andreas, I cropped the image to this shape because the bird was too far to the left in the original. I did in fact abandon the original 4:3 crop with you in mind - I know you don't like that format! I will have another look at making it brighter, it may indeed look better.

Andreas Liedmann
02-05-2023, 06:01 AM
Hi Jon ...as for the crop , i think personally , less above and more at the bottom might work better .