PDA

View Full Version : Coot (Fulica Atra)

Jonathan Ashton
01-30-2023, 04:28 PM
Hand held, unfortunately it was impossible to get lower. I appreciate the bird is far to the left but short of adding canvas I didn't see what else I could do.

OM-1 OLYMPUS M.150-400mm F4.5 TC
Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 1002.0mm
ISO : 800
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
Exposure compensation : -0.3 EV
Shutter : 1/2500 sec
Aperture : F5.6

ACR/PSCC

James Babbitt
01-31-2023, 08:06 AM
I am impressed that you got the exposure of the bird's body without blowing out the shield and beak. IMO, like photographing dancing grebes, the trail of water is as important as the bird. Certainly it would be nice to have both empty water in front of the bird and the trail of splashes behind, but short of making the bird very small in the frame, that is virtually impossible.

Jonathan Ashton
01-31-2023, 09:24 AM
Thanks James, I work the exposure by checking the highlights in the subject in the viewfinder - hence -0.3EV.

Daniel Cadieux
01-31-2023, 12:48 PM
The coot is nice and sharp! Good running and splashing action. A good look at that scaly foot too. I suppose you could go with a square crop, but you would obviously lose a good chunk of the splash behind that I am sure you want to keep.

Steve Kaluski
01-31-2023, 01:18 PM
Nice one Jon, looks like both kit and the 'Sausage machine' (AKA - DXO) is coming together nicely. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

William Dickson
01-31-2023, 01:43 PM
Just wee bit more on the LHS for me...but I do like what you captured....Exposure looks good and the facial expression along with the raised foot is priceless....

Will

Andreas Liedmann
02-01-2023, 06:52 AM
Hey Jon ... a real cracker or peach IMHO.
I am with you about the space in LLC .... that would have been perfect .
Superbly processed .
Love the dynamic pose

Very nice work and TFS Andreas

Dorian Anderson
02-01-2023, 06:57 PM
The high angle and side lighting suggest this more of an opportunistic grab that something premeditated, but the processing looks great regardless. I especially
like the intense look on the face and the detail on the foot. He's certainly moving with purpose!