PDA

View Full Version : Pemaquid Point Maine Sunrise

Grady Weed
07-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Camera: Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time 7/11/2008 05:16:23, Shutter Speed 1/8Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F22, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation +2/3, ISO 100, Lens: EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Focal Length: 28.0 mm, RAW, Flash Off, One-Shot AF, Picture Style: Landscape. On tripod with cable release. I kept 1 out of 30 frames that morning.

This is Pemaquid Point, The lighthouse is just to the left in this frame. Way too many people were walking around, jumping on the rocks and doing just about anything you could imagine right in the middle of my shot. So I made the best of it and took the sunrise from the right. I do not mind the minor lens flare in the frame. It adds somewhat to the overall image, imho. But some may see it differently, and thats ok with me. Please leave your thoughts. Thanks for looking.

I think I made out. My wife and I were celebrating our 26th anniversary.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Robert Amoruso
07-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Congrats on the anniversary Grady.

Like the composition and getting the sun setting into the water.

Lens flare not too obvious here but I will generally clone it out. I am not a fan of it. I would like to see more control of the contrast here.

Since Roman is at his workshop, I will assume his mantle here and say that a 3 stop hard edge GND filter would have been perfect here. Lacking that a curves adjustment in PS to darken the sky and then create a gradient mask just below the horizon to mask out the water from the adjustment's affect.

For this type of image, lowering the tonal range will generally give a more pleasing result.

Grady Weed
07-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Funny you should mention Roman. He called me on my cell phone to meet up and shoot the Portsmouth Lighthouses after Cape Neddick Nubble in York Maine. We were staying in a motel just 30 minutes from him. He never made it to Fort Foster with us. So we are going to meet up with him at Portland Headlight for the sunrise shoot.

Roman Kurywczak
07-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Hey Grady,
You know me.....I love those jacked up skies and agree with Robert on the split! I do love the flare though!
Sorry I couldn't make the sunrise.............we were up doing the night shots at Nubble.
Congrats on the 26th! Very nice place to spend it too! I'll give you a call on the 19th for Portland.........but I will be there!

Grady Weed
07-15-2008, 08:34 AM
A 3 stop neutral filter is on the way. A purchased a 4x6 rectangular, with holder and ring. I will be trying it out with Roman at the headlight .