PDA

View Full Version : Dew Be Dew Be Dew

Julie Kenward
07-13-2008, 11:11 AM
This morning's dew on a patch of wildflowers. (I just got a new monitor so if anything looks "off" please let me know. I calibrated it but I'm not sure it's where it needs to be just yet.)

Canon 40D, EF 70-200mm f/4L

f5.6 @ 1/250, ISO 125

Handheld, natural light, sidelit

Ed Vatza
07-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Yikes! Add heavy dew to deep blue skies as things the Midwest has cornered the market on, Julie! :) The flower is Daisy Fleabane. If you find it with pink petal instead of white, it's Philadelphia Fleabane.

Color looks good. Background is excellent. It is tough to comment on sharpness with all that dew going on but it looks good to me. The little bud hanging in front distracts me a bit but not much you can do other than pinch it off (not a desirable option) or clone it out.

Arthur Morris
07-13-2008, 12:56 PM
I like it but would like it better if the light on the blossoms were more even; perhaps using a refleector would have helped with that.

Julie Kenward
07-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Artie, I don't have a problem using reflectors, etc. when it is any kind of flower but a wildflower...and for those I really like the natural lighting - even when it is a bit uneven. It's just one of those artistic things that I can't seem to break as I like that my wildflowers look like I shot them...you know...in the wild.

And Ed, I still haven't decided about that broken bloom. Yes, it is a bit distracting but it also says "real live plant" so I'm still on the fence. Thank you both for letting me know how you feel about the image, though.

Mike Moats
07-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Hey Julie, dew always adds a nice touch to any flower shot. Good details, color and BG. I don't mind the uneven light, but I don't think the broken flower adds any thing to the comp, so I would clone it out.

Amy DeStefanis
07-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Is the flower hanging down really broken? or just drooping down?

I tried to imagine the image without it filling that space, and I think it actually does have a place there. Without it, something would seem to be missing (which, of course, it would be, I guess..) :)

Amy D.